Advanced Melanoma of the Vulva GRAPHIC **FINAL UPDATE PG 4**

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
This is extremely graphic!!

We've been dealing with this melanoma since May of last year. Our local 'crack pipe' vet...ahem...'removed' it...causing the problem to get worse so much faster than we'd hoped. The original melanoma wasn't very noticeable, but when she kidded last May, the blemish caused her to tear at the vulva (it had weakened the skin). The vet I took her to to close the tear also cut into the tumor further, and that 'made it mad'. Her cancer is now confirmed to be in the major organs...it spread like WILDFIRE after that vet messed with it.

At this point, I wash it weekly and keep the hair trimmed away as it does ooze. She's bred for March, too. We plan to do a C section on her as well. Believe it or not, this photo is AFTER a thorough scrubbing. The dead tissue comes off, but not all of it is loose. Additionally, her late gestational hormones have caused it to double in size (the same as any vulva would).

This is NOT UNCOMMON in goats, folks. If your goats have white (pigment free) vulvas and anuses...break out the spray on, waterproof sun screen!

Lava is an older girl, and the other goats I've seen this on were also older, so that's somewhat comforting. She was nearing the end of her reproductive years. Just a shame we can't keep her going as a pet.

doeswissues011.jpg

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Goodness! You've had to deal with a lot of issues lately! Doesn't seem fair.

If you put "graphic" in the title, then I don't think too graphic is a problem. Personally, this forum has been a tremendous goat education for me. My husband thinks I'm just looking at baby goat pictures - but I'm learning SO MUCH. (Well, I AM looking at baby pictures but occasionally I look up a little more, LOL) I, for one, appreciate the postings, and especially the pictures, of things that are not the norm. I want the details that I can't get from basic Storey Guide books.

So, if you're good with sharing the details and the photos, I'm one who appreciates them.

Again, sorry you're having to deal with multiple health issues.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Which goat is this now? How awful. The bad news just keeps on coming. I have no problem with a picture of it. Have to admit that I'm curious.

I'm so sorry. :hugs

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Jezz is just keeps coming for you huh?? Im sorry. I would'nt be offended at all. I would like to see it. Ive never seen melanoma on a goat..so I would be interested to see what to look for etc... Please post it.

If you disclaim with the word graphic...thats kinda "look at your own risk" :idunno

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If anything about goats is too graphic, then maybe you should just start an ant farm and get out of goats. :hide

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ohhhh Noooooo! That poor girl :hit That breaks my heart! Whats the plan with her now?? Is there any more treatment avail???

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Ya know...Now that I've seen this pic, I'm wondering if a pic that I posted a long time ago of a friend's Togg buckling w/ a swollen rectum, wasn't also a melanoma.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time w/ all this. :hugs

And bless your does' hearts.:love

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I thank God for my years working as a tech...I can be in 'tech mode' for the most part in the barn...and fall apart when I get back in the house.

Lava will be euthanized after she kids/has her C section. Her cancer, as I mentioned, has spread...and there is no way to correct her vulva, which is going to be a fly trap come warmer weather. She is a wonderful, sweet doe and is a great example of her breed. I'm proud to have a doeling from her (Tambora) and will retain pretty well whatever she has this kidding. I can only palpate one fetus, but she's a very, ahem...rotund girl and is often difficult to palpate.