Advanced Melanoma of the Vulva GRAPHIC **FINAL UPDATE PG 4**

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
I am SO sorry! :hugs

But thank you for posting the pic. I had never seen melanoma in a goat before... I feel horrible that you are having to go through this. I pray that she is carrying twin doelings for you .

Boondachs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So sorry for you and your doe.

A question regarding malenoma in goats. Does it tend to occur more in white goats (as it does in other white primarily outdoor animals) and does it tend to occur any place else where the hair is sparse, around eyes, nose, etc?

Again, so sorry for you! Wishing you and her the best!

Mammawannagoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the picture. Is she in pain with that mass? It looks very uncomfortable.

I just started working at a dairy goat farm today and there are lots of babies being born almost every day. Thank your wonderful girl for all she's added to your life. She's very lucky to have you. Keeping my fingers crossed for 2 baby does.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since cancer can sometimes be a familial thing, are you worried that the offspring may be more susceptible to cancer as well? If so, will you continue to breed that line?

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My understanding is that all white/non-pigmented animals are prone to melanomas like that. Particularly on hairless areas where they don't have protection from the sun. A friend's white horse had a melanoma like that in a similar place, just to the outside of the tail where her hair was fine and her light skin exposed. I've always been curious about the incidence of sun damage on Saanens...

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm so sorry that you're having to go through that Kate. Thanks for sharing though, as we had a melanoma removed from one of our five year old does (same area) about a month ago. I'd originally thought when we brought her home that she'd ripped during kidding and hadn't had it repaired, but that wasn't the case. The path report showed clear borders and she's healing fine ths far, but we'll see. It wasn't very deep.

My SIL years back had a grey mare with melanoma and they treated her with Zantac (which is used in humans for reducing acid in the stomach). It made the melanoma disappear and the mare lived a long productive life.

Our doe is bred for July kidding, so we'll see how it goes. If it recurs we'll most likely go ahead and put her down. It's the first case we've seen in over a decade of raising goats.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
It is painful...but doesn't bother her in day to day activities - she does protest about the cleaning.

As far as familial...not concerned. This is a pigmentation issue, different from genetically linked cancers.

Nicki have you ever noticed how many all-white goats get freckles as they age? You'll see it on older Saanens. This is how they deal with the sun.

This melanoma went from a tiny speck on her vulva to a huge, ulcerated mess in less than a month's time - and was confirmed to have spread after that point. We don't know what organs are involved, so treatment isn't an option for her. I wish it had not metastasized. We're just going to let her go before the internal cancers start to eat her away.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:
Nicki have you ever noticed how many all-white goats get freckles as they age? You'll see it on older Saanens. This is how they deal with the sun.
Oh, this fair skinned girl knows all about freckles Kate. :p

Yeah, I have to admit (please don't hate me Saanen folks) I think that those huge, pink, speckled udders are the grossest. :hide What I've wondered about is how many of those freckles develop into skin cancer.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
What I've wondered about is how many of those freckles develop into skin cancer.
Those freckles are actually the skin's way of protecting itself, so the more they have, the better.

Sort of disturbing update...Lava is loosing her mucous plug, and is having mild contractions when she poops. This is a new one for me unless the doe is in labor - and she shouldn't be (ligs are still quite there, udder is not full). I hope the swelling of her tumor hasn't gotten to the point where it's giving her the urge to strain...:/

Maybe her ligs are suddenly going to disappear, and she's really ready...:fl