Advanced Melanoma of the Vulva GRAPHIC **FINAL UPDATE PG 4**

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
For those who didn't see it, Lava kidded with triplets yesterday, 3/27. We lost one, but she did the whole thing by herself...surprised me that she could.

She was euthanized as soon as we got her colostrum milked out. She was never a particularly good mother, so I've always just pulled her kids right away. The tumor was bleeding pretty badly after kidding, and it looked mad and painful.

The necropsy was pretty interesting, really. After her diagnosis of "metastasized" and "in the lymphatic system", we fully expected to find tumors everywhere. However, the cancer was limited to her reproductive system. The tumor at her vulva, internally, was the size of an orange.

Given how 'sick' her reproductive system was, we are amazed she carried these triplets to term! Let alone conceived! She obviously had had this cancer hiding in there longer than we knew about from the external lesion.

BlackSheepOrganics

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow. I hate losing an animal, but having those answers afterwards somehow helps.

Glad you have 2 to remember her by and she can now be at peace and in no pain.

Thanks so much for sharing all the pictures and information. It was truly informative and a good learning tool.

:hugs

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Very glad she was able to deliver and you have two little ones. I'm sure it was hard. Thanks for sharing with us as the education is priceless. I'm so sorry for your losses. :hugs

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry it ended like this, but with that diagnosis, I suppose it ended about as well as it possibly could have. Always sucks to lose one, though.

:hugs