Algae in water

Kaitie09

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with the algae growth in my goat's water. I have a 40-50 gallon black plastic trough. I clean it our pretty regularly, but with this weird heat/cold thing going on right now, the algae will spring up for a few days then die off. On BYC I've heard of using apple cider vinegar or pennies, but how will they work for goats? Also, will that help with the mosquitoes when it get hot? During the summer, I'm usually emptying it every other day because it gets so many larva in it.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Not really sure. I use 5 gallon water buckets so they get cleaned on a regular basis and the water doesn't sit in them. They get new water every day.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We use smaller tubs, so they are refilled daily, if not twice a day.

Kaitie09

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We had previously used buckets, we tried 1-5 gallons, and even bought a grain feeder and filled that, but the Boers would knock them down or flip them, and we could not place them high because we have a pygmy. This is the best way for us to water the goats, because it is heavy enough that the Boers cannot push it over and the pygmy can reach it. Even with the buckets in the summer, we would still have mosquito larva in it after a day.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We use these,

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/fortex-rubber-feeder-tub/camid/LIV/cp/FX-R8/

But it holds more like 10 to 15 gallons in the smaller ones and their is a bigger one that holds probably 30 or 40 gallons, I use the size container that they need to hold enough water for a day, and dump it each day.

I do use a smaller bucket, I believe it is 2 gallon livestock pail, if I just have a couple animals in a pen.

I have never had our boer goats tip them over,

As far as adding something to the water, I am not sure about that.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I also had noticed that one particular tub of mine develops algae faster than the others, it is like once they start to do this it is in the pores of the tub. If you haven't washed it with bleach water, and let it sit and dry out in the sun for a couple days, I woulld try that. Maybe just using another water container while you soak it and dry it.

marliah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
apple cider vinegar, I put a splash in every time I fill a pail and so far havent had any algae.

Works for all our animals, chickens, guinease, ducks, rabbit.

Chris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Add some Blue or Black food coloring to the water all you'll need to do is tint the water so it blocks the light.
The copper penny "trick" might work IF you use a penny pre-mid 1982 they contain 95% copper 5% zinc. Pennies newer than 1982 are 97.5% zinc and 2.5% copper.
As for ACV, I would think that the "mother" in the unfiltered ACV would "feed" the algae.

Chris

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've used ACV, and it really does work. Although, I do usually refill my water buckets once a day and scrub them out once a week. Even doing that, if I don't have the ACV in the water during the summer, the algae goes crazy.