Anatolian Pyrenees

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
He just wanted to CHECK OUT SHEEP! Gunnie took a walk, that's all 😆. Glad he came to a friend! At least he got a ride home. ,👍
🤣 he’s actually been up here a few times with his buddy Maggie over the years. And his owner knows to text me when one or both disappear - good with me, I don’t mind their occasional visits.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Colt
Duke
Hank
Blaze
Rock

Something will hit you and it will be perfect for you and your dog.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pooch is a cute puppy. Pretty young to remove from parents since LGD pups learn a lot from their mother abut guarding. LGDs can be taught to protect poultry. Hopefully you will have some sort of fence up for the pup with an "escape" pen or crate in case the geese get too aggressive. Right now little Pooch is a walking appetizer for all predators so you need to protect him as much or more than the poultry. Hawks, eagles, foxes, badgers, and bobcats can take him as well as the larger predators. Eventually if you decide to have grazing animals you will need several LGDs to protect against wolves, cougar, and bears.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pooch is a cute puppy. Pretty young to remove from parents since LGD pups learn a lot from their mother abut guarding. LGDs can be taught to protect poultry. Hopefully you will have some sort of fence up for the pup with an "escape" pen or crate in case the geese get too aggressive. Right now little Pooch is a walking appetizer for all predators so you need to protect him as much or more than the poultry. Hawks, eagles, foxes, badgers, and bobcats can take him as well as the larger predators. Eventually if you decide to have grazing animals you will need several LGDs to protect against wolves, cougar, and bears.
Actually in the video that is his fence I am putting up, one inside the other. One for him as he grows a bond to them and after I have seen as such he is ready he will be in the bigger fence to run with them, as he get more smart he will then free range with them and they will free range again.
Currently he sleeps in the pole barn and only goes outside when I am there.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
He’s not afraid of the power tool noise but unsure about those scary birds! He got reassurance from you and that is what he needed.

When you say free range, do you mean just turn him loose or do you have a parameter fence? He may wander instead of sticking close to home.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
He’s not afraid of the power tool noise but unsure about those scary birds! He got reassurance from you and that is what he needed.

When you say free range, do you mean just turn him loose or do you have a parameter fence? He may wander instead of sticking close to home.
Would be about a year before he gets turned loose to free range.
What I seen of his parents is they free range and they stick close to home. To many acres to try and fence it all to keep him in, unlike most acreage we have have ravines that makes it almost impossible to correctly fence in a dog as such. Some of these ravines drop down 50 feet, then we got wild horses that would plow the fence running in panic. Even trying to set up a temp fence would be worse cause then I would be liable for the wild horses getting tangled up.

At first he howled at the power tools then after exposure it was like eh oh well and I will keep exposing him to the birds as you seen as I build his pen. Once he gets big enough I will take him on walks around the whole property, for now it's go until wore out walking, getting exposed to usual noises here and he sleeps well at night. I am worried of him when running heavy machinery so I put him up before using it, want to make sure he gets exposed to that later by him being in the pen as I operate it and assure him it's just me using it.
Next on the list is shooting to expose him to.

Latest posts