Another displaced chicken addict

oldhenlikesdogs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hello.....:frow....

I am so lost here....:th

Looking soo forward to the new Coop and comfortable roost....:weee
:frow Hi back, I don't think our roost will be comfortable for a while, this new system stinks to me, but I'm getting familiar with it slowly. Good to see you.

aart

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Another free range chicken here who got out of the BYC yard, well chased out, and now I find myself among larger beasts, and am trying to figure this site out.
This cracked me up!

This has probably been the most posts on this site in one day ever. Us chickens are always boisterous and noisy, and there are a few ornery mules about, but mostly friendly folks. I miss talking chickens though.
Me too! It's lockdown day here for chicken eggs! My OE, buddies EE, and finally some Marans, which are a b!tch to candle....my new flock sire is in there I hope.

Funny, this whole forum shows very little activity... except the social sub-forums.
More interested in topics, never could keep up with chat threads.

Just thought I'd drop in here say hi, I'm missing BYC too.
New format has some good and some bad and it's all going to take a lot of getting used to.
Will be very interesting when the change is done and we go back(tho not quite 'back to what was before') . I'm getting to old to want to do learning curves.

oldhenlikesdogs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This cracked me up!

Me too! It's lockdown day here for chicken eggs! My OE, buddies EE, and finally some Marans, which are a b!tch to candle....my new flock sire is in there I hope.

Funny, this whole forum shows very little activity... except the social sub-forums.
More interested in topics, never could keep up with chat threads.

Just thought I'd drop in here say hi, I'm missing BYC too.
New format has some good and some bad and it's all going to take a lot of getting used to.
Will be very interesting when the change is done and we go back(tho not quite 'back to what was before') . I'm getting to old to want to do learning curves.
This place is horrible, i am forced to chat just to not go through posting withdrawals. I want my chicken chit chat. I figure if I get more familiar with this mess of a site I will be ahead of the game, maybe.

I got some hatching eggs cooking under my broody bantams, 11 various Orpington, 9 various turkey eggs and I'm waiting on some barnevelder eggs to stuff under them too. Mine have a few weeks to go yet.

You must use an incubator, I can't imagine my bantams would agree to a lock down. I always feel bad when I snatch the chicks, but they are being paid to hatch, not to raise them. Actually if I let them raise them than I can't keep them out of the bantam coop.

As you can see I have become chatty without my chicken talk.:D =D

I don't like this new system, I find it lags. I use to use the mobile version of BYC which was super quick. I can't find that there's a separate mobile version on here. Me no like, too much button tapping to go no where.

aart

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's a shocker to learn a new software, I'm catching on fairly well, some won't be learned until we go back.
Sure makes me realize how addicted I was to BYC.
Might not be bad to take a bit of a 'digital diet'. Change in perspective.
The 'practice' here will definitely help later.

Yep, foamy bators...clients for incubation and mine for hatching.
Did a batch for a local farmette, while trouble shooting their incubator(bad thermometer and turner motor). Now doing a batch for me and friend.

oldhenlikesdogs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's a shocker to learn a new software, I'm catching on fairly well, some won't be learned until we go back.
Sure makes me realize how addicted I was to BYC.
Might not be bad to take a bit of a 'digital diet'. Change in perspective.
The 'practice' here will definitely help later.

Yep, foamy bators...clients for incubation and mine for hatching.
Did a batch for a local farmette, while trouble shooting their incubator(bad thermometer and turner motor). Now doing a batch for me and friend.
Cool, I have an incubator but never actually used it yet, it seems too complicated, and I'm afraid of deformed chicks and poults because of improper temperatures. Maybe someday I will give it a try.

I wish I could quit cold turkey on BYC, might get more done around here. Currently I need to finish my vacuuming, dishes, feed the fish, plant some flowers, eat a sandwich and so on.

aart

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cool, I have an incubator but never actually used it yet, it seems too complicated, and I'm afraid of deformed chicks and poults because of improper temperatures. Maybe someday I will give it a try.

I wish I could quit cold turkey on BYC, might get more done around here. Currently I need to finish my vacuuming, dishes, feed the fish, plant some flowers, eat a sandwich and so on.
They can be complicated and a lot can go wrong.
Ya just gotta keep an eye on it, know when to act and when to wait.
Much more nerve wracking than a broody hen...tho I've only had one broody and I isolated her to reduce the possible drama.

oldhenlikesdogs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They can be complicated and a lot can go wrong.
Ya just gotta keep an eye on it, know when to act and when to wait.
Much more nerve wracking than a broody hen...tho I've only had one broody and I isolated her to reduce the possible drama.
I'm a knob fiddler, and a hoovering mother, I check my bantams multiple times a day to make sure the eggs are covered. When I dry ran my incubator last year it was never right, so I was relieved my bantams finally went broody. 21 days of stress, 28 for turkeys and 35 for muscovy ducks. It's a bit easier if the eggs are my own free ones, than I got plenty of replacements.

Interesting side note, I was able to access messages on BYC today. The two people had no clue the site is down I think. One I didn't even know was asking about his incubating. I said I had no clue.

aart

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Knob fiddling is the worst(and easiest) habit for using an incubator.
Change the temp knob....then wait at least 2 hours for it to stabilize.
Hovering and checking is ok, necessary even, but no touchie!! haha!

21hens-incharge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am missing the old coop!
I cannot seem to find much on this one and it's hard to use. (Stompy feet and flail) <<<<that is a smiley face thingy we need!!

Other note.... The little cockerel has to go soon. No he is not crowing at 5 weeks old BUT he puffed up and had a looooonnnngggg standoff with the Brahma chick. Had those neck feathers sticking straight out for almost 5 minutes. She should have stepped on him.

oldhenlikesdogs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am missing the old coop!
I cannot seem to find much on this one and it's hard to use. (Stompy feet and flail) <<<<that is a smiley face thingy we need!!

Other note.... The little cockerel has to go soon. No he is not crowing at 5 weeks old BUT he puffed up and had a looooonnnngggg standoff with the Brahma chick. Had those neck feathers sticking straight out for almost 5 minutes. She should have stepped on him.
Naughty boy, all boys are naughty. That is your red Cochin?

I threw a fit on another thread by Kdogg. I don't like this site either, not enough chicken information.

It's strange that I'm an introvert, and this site is too quiet for me. I got used to to loud rowdy behavior at BYC.