Anyone In Georgia

SarahFair

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey fellow Georgians!

I was wondering what the goat milk laws in Ga were?
I dont have any goats yet but I was wondering if I couldnt make soap from the milk and sell it on the side legally..
Or even give it away for xmas gifts

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would think goat milk soap or lotion should be fine. Ohio is very strict with dairy laws but there are a lot of people who sell goat milk soap at craft shows.

SarahFair

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
I would think goat milk soap or lotion should be fine. Ohio is very strict with dairy laws but there are a lot of people who sell goat milk soap at craft shows.
Ohh lotion!?! I never thought of that!!

Is making soap and lotion worth it in the $$ department? Or is it just a hobby that costs some money and you really dont get back what you put in?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Depends on how much work you are willing to put into it. If you make a few bars of soap and sell them, then probably not. I know a couple people who make soap and lotion on a large scale and they do make money. But they also put the work into it. This is not a simple 40 hour week, Monday through Friday. If you can find stores that will stock your soap, then you probably don't have to go to craft shows so that saves you time but they will take a cut of your money. If you love making soap and lotions, then you will probably be successful. I have found that if you love what you are doing, then you can be successful.

I tried my hand at selling alpaca items. I ended up giving more as gifts than selling. My girlfriend also sells alpaca items and has a very successful business. She loves doing it, I don't.

SarahFair

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well I dont know if I like making, yet.
Guess Ill have to give it a try!

crazygoatlady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think you can sell soap from any state as long as you dont' make any claims on what it can or will do-then you can get into trouble. we have people that say that it helps them. We have several people that come to our tables in the fall craft fair to buy 12 to 15 bars of soap and they tell everyone around what it does for them, that sells the soap. Some people come looking for the new pictures, listen to the stories then by soap. Right now we sell bar soap--we don't mess with lotions, we feel that there is way too much red tape involved in making lotions. A lot of people order lotion bases and go from there--we have used the soap for ourselves for years and use it in our homemade clothes soap. We got goats because I can't tolerate cows milk and because we absolutely love our goats. We made soap for ourselves, then it went from there. make money--depends on how you do it. there are soo many people that make gm soap right now, so people think this is an easy way to make money. Ya gotta love those goats and believe in them. We have the goats for milk and milk products, soap is a by product for us so if we can pay for their board and room, we have free milk and milk products.