Canesisters 2024 journal

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, the tires aren't fixed yet. 1 is good. I think it'll be fine. The other is leaking out through the spokes!!! :hu I got the spoke holes about 1/2 coated in flexseal & ran out.🙄
So I went around to the front yard & trimmed a dozen or so crepe myrtle branches. These will be the stakes that will hold the old fence boards in place. Have you ever used myrtle around your place? It's a dense, slow to rot wood & is great for light duty stakes & poles. Plus, whatever type of myrtle these are will grow 15'+, nearly straight branches every year. I got about 6' of good usable 2" thick or better wood from each branch & figure that in 24" sections, they should do just fine to keep the oak boards standing up.
Then I got a text from a friend saying that there is some kind of program that she just got approved for a free 'high tunnel' greenhouse & I should apply. .... so now I'm hesitating to start pounding in stakes & laying cardboard if there's a chance of adding a greenhouse to the area. What is a high tunnel?? Isn't that a hoop house?
Anywho, the garden day has turned into a day to gather all the supplies into the immediate area. Then make another trip to Tractor Supply..... oh noooo 😉.
Then groceries & may as well make a run to the dumpsters while I'm out.

There's an event this afternoon called Stuff Your Stanley. A local ice-cream place will fill your Stanley mug (or any comparable) up to 40 OUNCES with their homemade soft serve plus 3 toppings for $11 🍦
But I can't find anyone to go with me. 😢 Sure, I can go by myself but what fun is that? Maybe I'll just grab a pint of Ben & Jerry's while I'm out.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes...a tunnel is a hoop house.

:old BUT --- I would be real careful with anything about it. Scams are rampant and who is out there giving away a thousand $ or better????? Verify website age, then company info, call company listed but NOT phone on the site.

Not wanting to be negative, just completely honest. 😁

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes...a tunnel is a hoop house.

:old BUT --- I would be real careful with anything about it. Scams are rampant and who is out there giving away a thousand $ or better????? Verify website age, then company info, call company listed but NOT phone on the site.

Not wanting to be negative, just completely honest. 😁
I'll be getting all the details over tacos tomorrow after church. I believe she said it had something to do with the USDA office in town??

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
SHOOT NO..... Ben and Jerry's is a POOR excuse for a fresh mug of soft serve.... PLUS TOPPINGS.....I'd go by myself if I was already out and about... Now, I wouldn't make a special trip 15 miles to town to do that.....
Got some Tillamook waffle cone sundae instead.
....... and it wasn't very good. ?
I thought they were supposed to be up the with Blue Bell & other premium.
Oh well.

Gave that leaky tire another coat around the bead & the spoke holes. We'll see. Flexseal is $16/can. I haven't found comparable replacement tires yet so don't know what they would cost. But I assume (?) that if they're hard to find, they're probably expensive.

Every fall I start to get really, really, REALLY tempted to go talk with the user tractor folks. Maybe I could swing financing on something just a little bit bigger than a riding mower. Do they make such a thing as a mini excavator with a bush hog on the back?😜

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Look at the different tractor company websites. I have a 23 HP Kubota with 4’ bush hog, box blade, disc, front end loader, and clamp on pallet forks. I can do a lot with it, but it’s too small to pick up round bales.

Sometimes tractor companies run no interest promotions.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score

I believe this is to much for my little operation, but some of you ladies should look into this.
According to my friend it's 30x70. There's several conditions & prerequisites.
The only space I'd be able to fit something that big would be in the pasture. And apparently they are adamant about this being horticultural and not used for livestock. I'm not sure I could convince them that I would (or could) keep Eva out of it.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well -- went to site. Per usual government directives 😵‍💫🤐 they give generalities, not many specifics. It "appears" they are considering a "farmer, or wanna be" for funding of this huge hoop house. There are suggested limitations within each category to be met, again minimally explained, for funding acceptance. Then no info at all as to what you are required to do/produce, or repay from this "co-operative" situation, or how much gov will be in your butt for life 😁🥴. Does seem they want commercial use for/from farmer. For how long 🤷

What info did your friend have for any of this? Heck, if no payback, just a prequal and production specks, I'd look into it. Conservation keeps appearing in their narrative 🤔wonder what that's about

Last edited: