Anyone still milking by hand?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Anyone here still milking by hand? Do you make your own butter? What kind of dairy cow do you have? Do you sell your butter and cheeses?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
we milked cows for 27yrs.an always used milking machines.now we would hand stripp the cows to check their milk.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There are people who milk one or maybe two cows by hand yet. They are the exception and I think in most cases someone who is just starting with cows. I know I responded to a thread on BYChickens that someone was milking a jersey by hand that they had just bought.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
most people do milk a family cow by hand.
Or buy/make a small vacuum pump and unit. I know of one that used a canister vacuum cleaner for their vacuum pump. They had the regular stallcox for the pulsation though. Don't ask me how they did it though. I had heard the rumors of it and then DH ask one of the customers at the feedmill if he knew of it, thinking if someone was going to try it this guy would, and he was the one that did it. :rolleyes:

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i remember seeing the lil rascals use a vacum cleaner to milk a cow.but that was back in the 30s or 40s.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
most people do milk a family cow by hand.
Then I guess my next question should be "Does anyone here have and milk a family cow?"

gotajersey

Just born
Reaction score
I do, I have several Jerseys now. All of them are milked by hand for the first month, then I get bottle calves to take over. I will keep one milked for my own use on a weekly basis. I make cheese, but only the easy stuff so far. Are you thinking you want to try milking?? Cheese making seems like a chemistry project, but once you make the easier ones you develope more confidence in the process.
Love my Jerseys! My last cow to calf just gave me an adorable set of twins last night. Sooo,,,milking her will be limited. I do let my calves have the cream first.