Anyone still milking by hand?

backforty

Just born
Reaction score
I have a jersey cow I milked by hand. Shes dry now. Although I only had her for 3 months and she was at the end of her lactation so wasnt giving much. I Made some butter as well as ice cream. I'd like to do more of that when she hopefully has her calf the end of jan. I find hand milking to be relaxing, the cow must to sometimes she fell asleep and I'd hear her start snoring.:lol:

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Cows these days are bred to have short teats. Makes it tougher to milk by hand.
I had a family milk cow for 2 years that I milked by hand. When she went to the fair the first year, we didn't know if she would tolerate a milking machine!

When daughter brought home the city boy she was to marry, milking the cow was a rite of passage. I hear those pics are blackmail material now.

hollybird

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
we milk buy hand and my mom loves it for her arthritis. i'm not fast enough and the cow runs out of grain before i'm done. i only have one acre now on my home place. i do need a lawn mower for my orchard though.

Yates Dairy

Just born
Reaction score
Use to but we have over 500 milk cows now so we pretty much had to switch to machine. We have a mixture of breeds but mostly Holestein (sorry about spelling if it was wrong)

Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I still milk by hand.

I'm only milking one goat right now. All the others are drying up and getting ready for breeding.

My only milk cow, a Jersey, is off to visit her new man for a little while to be bred.
We are having her bred to a Red Angus. We couldn't find a Jersey bull locally this year.

We were mostly using her for a nurse cow for raising some calves, but I did milk her between sets of calves.

I prefer the goat milk over the cows milk, though.

Jean

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have 3 jerseys and I milk by hand. Its really not that hard. Practice, practice, practice (which is hard to avoid). The feed I put into the cows comes out as feed for people, pigs, chickens , orphan calves, dogs cats...so I feel a milk cow is a good investment for a small farm even if one cannot sell her by-products. Yes we have cheese, butter, and cream in limitless quantities here, and now I am reading that raw milk makes great fertilizer for the fields so now even dumping excess milk is a value added activity.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When I had goats I milked by hand. My neighbor always used a milking machine with her goats and the few times I goat sat for her and had to put the thing together and clean it, it didn't seem like that much of a time saver for 3 goats.

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Milking 2 goats this year by hand. after being out of goats for several years. Have 6 bred for Feb-Apr kids. Also raising a Jersey/Heifer calf for future milk cow. She is a year old will be ready to be bred hopefully by spring (haven't seen her in heat yet but she is vet checked ok). Bought a refurbished surge milker this fall!I enjoy hand milking but with 6 and a future cow milking was sure I couldn't handle milking that volume. I haven't tried it yet other than plugging it in etc. Waiting for the spring surge of milk as I'm only milking once a day and getting 1/2 gal now.

cat1994

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Im going to milk by hand. When my cow, a lil holstein dairy cow, is old enough :D