Anything to sow in small spaces?

vegaburm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have Nigerians. I have 4 does in a pasture area about 500 Sq ft I think right now, with 2 kids in there with them. Then I have a buck and wether out in a separate pasture, that is slightly larger, but has trees and is a woody area. The girls pasture is cleared and almost an extension of my backyard. The girl pasture grows grass and weeds in the summer and the boys pasture only grows greenbriar (nasty annoying thorny vine) and a few other weeds. During the summer I also use mesh electrified fencing to move the non-milking goats around the woods that border my house, allowing them to clear out the brush and the greenbriar that grows up like crazy. So, with that said, I have wondered if there is anything I can plant in either pasture or the woods that would grow and give them extra forage. Since they are in small spaces, would they just eat it all and kill it and it not be worth the trouble? I had looked at some of the seed mixes for attracting deer as deer/goats are similar and eat a lot of the same things, and those seeds can just be free sown without tilling everything up......but I don't know. Anybody else? I would just like to increase the available browse if possible.

verkagj

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Tropical kudzu. I know it is illegal in some states but I asked at a store here in Belize what I could plant for the goats. He have me Aries Grass and Tropical Kudzu. I put the kudzu around the fence so it could vine on the chain link but I don't see that happening. But the girls sure do eat a lot around the fence line and they didn't do that before.
Our friends from Alabama said that we would be covered in the stuff. I told him that if it gets out of hand, I'd let the neighbor cut it for his pigs, horses and cows. So far, we're still good.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
The goats do like Kudzu but man is that stuff a pain (at least here). And the farmers, I know, hate it with a passion.

Gagroundhog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hmmm...kudzu... Fairmont, NC...I think the kudzu would eat your goats :p I have a small area for my goats too here in georgia. I've used the deer forage mix, winter rye grass and winter wheat. They liked all three but for the money the wheat grass was easy. I just put it out just before a gentle rain on closely mowed or scuffed up bare spots of ground with a hard rake or you if you have nice soft soil (mine isn't) I'd try letting the rain wash it in. Wheat grass is easy to grow. I bought my wheat grass seed at the feed store. My goats and rabbits love it.

vegaburm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yeah, we don't have tons of Kudzu around here, but there is a patch up by our lake that my husband regularly cuts from and brings the cuttings up here for the goats. I am afraid to plant it intentionally with how evil so many people say it is. But the goats do love it, and I bet the fence would be prettier. lol. Maybe I'll see if I can pick up some wheat grass and give that a try.

bigmike

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wish I had some Kudzu here in Texas..All we got here is Johnson Grass and my finicky goats don't like it..