Are we a bit over the top?

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sounds great!!! We just finished our new barn too...but at our farm NO CHICKENS ALLOWED in the goat barn!! I have my chickens in a separate coop...which my niece wants to turn into her house on the farm!! LOL.. I felt it was'nt a good idea for chickens and goats live together.

I would watch for where they roost and make sure they do not get poop in goat feeders or waterers. And goats should NEVER eat chicken feed. Be careful with that!!!

But good luck!! Congrats on your new barn!!! And please send pics of goaties!! We all love pics!!! :love And last but not least!!

:frow Welcome to BYH!!!

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Emmetts Dairy said:
Sounds great!!! We just finished our new barn too...but at our farm NO CHICKENS ALLOWED in the goat barn!! I have my chickens in a separate coop...which my niece wants to turn into her house on the farm!! LOL.. I felt it was'nt a good idea for chickens and goats live together.

I would watch for where they roost and make sure they do not get poop in goat feeders or waterers. And goats should NEVER eat chicken feed. Be careful with that!!!

But good luck!! Congrats on your new barn!!! And please send pics of goaties!! We all love pics!!! :love And last but not least!!

:frow Welcome to BYH!!!
We have plywood set over the top of the goat stalls(which we can move but they cannot), keeping chicken poop out of the goat dishes, chicken feed out of reach for the goats, and it gives the hens a way to not have to go far from the nest when brooding time arrives. ;)
The problem with poop comes when the goats poop in their own dishes. :sick
Our chickens keep the stalls cleaned out... yes, they eat goat poop. helps us keep stalls cleaner longer ;) Love how nature works!
and thanks!:D

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
LOL!!! Goaties poop wherever and whenever they want!! :gig

But seriously, if the goaties are pooping in thier feeders or waterers I highly recomend raising them for em!!! They are too low when that happens. And and it can cause big probelms for them!

I dont have any waterers or feeders ground level...ever..

iamcuriositycat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
iamcuriositycat said:
Wow. My goats are wondering if they can come live with you?

They live in an ancient metal shed with a tarp over the top to keep the rain out. Except during the day when they are in their portable pasture with a plastic dogloo for shelter.

Of course, we have a much milder climate here in Charlotte, NC, so they don't really get cold. But I do wish I had a heated bucket--it's on my wishlist--to keep their water clear all day and night.

And I do plan to build them a nice, cozy wooden shed at some point--the metal one was really supposed to be temporary and we just never updated it.

You'll have to send me the plans for your ritzy place! :D
Are you talking to me or PattySh ?
LOL--I was talking to the OP, but I'd love to hear advice & see plans from anyone who has good ideas for simple, cozy goat shelters I can build. My goats are actually pretty happy here, and pretty spoiled--they go for walks like little dogs, get good quality hay & grain, goat minerals and their hooves trimmed; use Hoegger's herbal wormer... they're not neglected. But they really do need a more suitable nighttime structure, especially because the current one continues to deteriorate and I suspect will not be good for another winter past this one.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
We have their dishes built into their doors, about 1 1/2 ft to 2ft off the ground. Also, they have not pooped into their dishes for a good two months.... much to our clean freak relief, we think they might have realized those were not potty stations, but rather their regular feed dishes! :)
Their water tubs are located in the two front corners of the barn. One is 2 ft tall and nestled into a tire(nice snug fit so they can't tip it over) and the other is 2 1/2 ft tall and weighted with a rock.

iamcuriositycat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, the OP would be the original poster, and that would be you. :lol:

And that's my bad (yikes--did I grow up in the 80s, yes I did!), because I am fairly new on these boards (though not-so-new on the BYC boards) & didn't remember or bother to look to see who the OP was. Sorry!

Thanks for the additional info & I can't WAIT to see pictures!!!