bad hay? horses did cow flops

cherokeerainbow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Diarrhea a bit with my QH mare. Stool is softer but not totally off normal, just some liquid running down her leg after a movement.
Mini's had one or two less solid piles...kinda looking like a cow pie. The rest was normal.
Can last years hay cause this? I didn't smell any mold and the bale wasn't dusty at all. I still have over 100 bales of last years hay to feed before starting on new stuff.
The weather here (Maine) has been very hot and sticky this past week and I'm sure didn't help matters at all.
I've given my mare extra salt/gatorade powder and she been drinking plenty of water. Her stool today wasn't too bad either, but just worried.
Was going to give it another day before calling vet...
thought I would put the situation out there for extra imput too.
I'm hopeing someone has an idea....
Thanks for your time!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't know about the hay, but if it has been super hot then she could be a bit dehydrated, which shows with runny poop. I would put some Electrolytes in the water, as a rule we do this anyway all summer as most electrolytes for horses state that they can be used as preventitive measure against dehydration.

cherokeerainbow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks,
That's what the gatorade powder is...electrolites.
She seems a bit better today but the lil mini, not so hot...and the weather for the past 3 days has been ok (80's and not too sticky)
So I'm only waiting till wend (vet)... as it should have passed thru if it was something they ate, and the supplements should at least start to kick in by now..?

Bronco Hollow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Diarrhea can be caused by many things. Other causes for ongoing diarrhea...

If you have suddenly made any other feeding changes that could cause diarrhea.

Water - do they have a new source of water? If your on well you may want to have the water checked as water can contain minerals that may cause diarrhea.

Virus diarrhea would be accompanied with an upper respiratory problem

There are mycotic diarrhea - can be from a large load of worms, some type molds and it can be carried in hay

Protozoal - recent anitbiotic treatment would possibly kill off the good intestinal bacteria and that allows the protozoans to grow. Most horses look and act well and have good appetites with this type of diarrhea.

If you are still having the problems, call you vet. Let us know the outcome!

cherokeerainbow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks Bronco,

I did run down the list of causes in my head...which is why/how I narrowed it down to the hay being a possibility, as it was the only thing left that could be ify.

My QH seems to have had this pass now, thank goodness.

The day I posted I bought a few bags of Dengi Hi-Fi (Lucerene Farm) and have been feeding that instead of my hay.
My mini mare is still off a bit but, much better today. Perhaps by this time tomorrow this will have passed thru her system. I started her the day after with all Dengi...
I checked and rechecked my hay bales for dust and mold... I can't smell or see anything...But, since my QH refuses to eat it ... even outside, I've decided to bite the bullet and sell it as mulch and hope the hay folks here have some extra to buy. Ouch, hay was $1.75 per bale 5 summers ago...now its $5.
Still, better that than have my loved ones ill. NVM vet bills...eek

Bronco Hollow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
May want to try some probois, couldn't hurt. Glad to hear your QH is better and hope your mini responds as well. Hate it when the kidlets get sick! Please let us know how the mini does!