Barn floor/bedding questions...

redtailgal

Reaction score
I clean barns to the dirt 2-3 times a year, and rake out loafing areas weekly, including the areas for the 40 head of cattle.

AND I am a real livestock person (lol having visions of Pinocchio) , :p my monetary gain is less hoof rot, less flies (less pink eye) and less problems with coccidia and worms.

Symphony

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
goodhors said:
You may want to check at the Farm Store and buy some rubber matting to put over
the dirt. I would lime the dirt before putting mats down, to deoderize the place.

Rubber mats are easy to clean, make an insulation layer between animal and ground.

The pine bedding is quite absorbent, and on the mats, should be real easy to clean
when the barn is dirty. Shavings with old waste hay over, should still make good
bedding. If shavings are very dusty, a garden sprinkle can will help hold the dust down
by sprinkling the pine bedding to dampen the top a little. I have seen some very
dusty pine sawdust and shavings. Any movement by animals makes a CLOUD of dust
that is not good to breathe in. That sprinkling is a big help with such dusty bedding.
You can make a sprinkle can out of a plastic milk bottle, punch holes in the upper top,
works just fine for the dampening of dusty bedding. You are just sprinkling, NOT
watering the garden, so don't soak the bedding either.

I am kind of big on keeping animals in clean bedding, clean stalls. I don't like deep litter
type bedding, because it can hold so many nasty things in the poopy layers. It draws
insects, turns into a breeding ground for flies that torment the livestock. Plus deep litter
is REALLY hard to clean when deep and heavy, takes quite a while to get down to the
bottom of the stalls. Our stalls for horses and small animals, get cleaned daily, which
only takes a few minutes, then get added clean bedding. They have enough bedding to
absorb liquids, keep hooves dry, deep enough to lay in without getting wet or rubs from the floors.
Animals are outside half the day hours, so stalls are never horribly dirty.

I love rubber mats in stalls. They reduce the work incredibly, no snagging on dirt, no holes
from pawing.
x2

Bifrost

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
shawnfisher said:
real livestock people clean barns out once a year, or every other year if they don't have a large herd.

I know some people, who keep only dirt floors- and never clean their barns out-- and by looking at them, you wouldn't know there has been sheep in there for 30 plus years-- not once cleaned out.

As to the pet owners-- they treat livestock like dogs and cats, and get the pooper scoopers out.

I don't see the monetary incentive to adding rubber mats to a barn bigger than 10x10, and even then it's questionable.
Well, mine are strictly pets, although I love them dearly. However, I just wasn't clear what is considered "clean" and what is the prevailing technique among goat owners who have been at this awhile. Our barn is actually a 15 x30 pole building that used to be a dog kennel that we converted for the goats. Thus, the concrete floors. I don't plan to keep any more than two (aside from babies which will be sold), as I only want dairy for personal use. Just trying to pick out the best practice for my situation. Thanks for the reply!
Meg

sdsmowen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was wonder the same things so thank you for the post. We have sheep not goats but i think there are the same floor/bedding issues.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We do deep bedding on a a herd of 25 adult does and clean out everyother year. We sprinkle straw ontop if it needs it in the winter. We limit the number of animals that can come into the barn by using calf huts in the pature(6 acres) for shelter so they don't always have to hang out in the barn. Your waste hay is really causing the odor problem, or atleast it isn't helping. Hay can get really smelly when used as bedding. I would consider better hay feeders with less waste and use straw for bedding.

There are for sure other options, since I am sure their are people who clean out weekly or bi-weekly, good luck on your search.

I would for sure compost your manure and bedding before using it in your garden.

Shayanna

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Question... Do you guys lock your goats up in the barn at night? When we used to lock them up (They have an 8 x 10 shed for the 7 of them, and they are large), they would always do their business first thing when we let them out so I wondered if they were trying to hold it. Since we got our pasture more secure, we don't have to lock them up at night, and that reduced a lot of them mess. There are times at night that I have noticed them actually going outside to drop the berries and then go back in. Are my goats just strange?

Bifrost

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OMG, I wish my goats did that!! :) I lock mine up at night but they have a pretty large area, so they don't have to be right on top of where they mess, so that might be why they don't bother holding it.

GoatCrazyLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't get it. I clean out mine 2-3 times a day, plus rake the fenced yard. Poop is everywhere! Especially in the morning, the shed is full of berries. Same with the chicken coop, I only have 7 chickens in a large coop & feel the need to clean every day. I read stories like these & can't seem to rap my head around how it works. I would love it if I could get down to at least once a week.

AnotherKim

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
I clean barns to the dirt 2-3 times a year, and rake out loafing areas weekly, including the areas for the 40 head of cattle.

AND I am a real livestock person (lol having visions of Pinocchio) , :p my monetary gain is less hoof rot, less flies (less pink eye) and less problems with coccidia and worms.
:thumbsup

Fernwood Hollow

Just born
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine only cleaning my coop/goat shelter 2-3 times a year. Horse stalls are cleaned every day. My chicken coop has pine shavings and gets completely emptied every 2-3 weeks. The shavings from the nest boxes go on the floor and clean shavings in the boxes. My goat shelter; shavings also and scooped every day or two of wet and poop. Completely cleaned out about once a week or as needed. I have a compost pile that gets turned by the tractor and put in the garden in the fall. I am a fan of rubber mats, especially on concrete. The mats create a barrier between the cold cement in winter and are cushier on the legs.