bathing calves

cw

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
we have a little jersey bull calve that needs a bath horribly, he just got over the scours, and his back end is a little chapped from where he lays in it (we had been trying to keep it clean as he had the scours but you know how that is)
he is less then 10 days old and my wife is afraid the stress of the bath will put him back to the scours, (they are on electrolytes, and meds)

here is more info on the calve
he is over the scours but his crap getsl a little watery here and there (mustard color)(vet says thats pretty normal)

he eats 2 1/2 quarts at every 12 hours (he always has)(which is more then the holsteins)

but he has a really small cough here and there (i dont believe its pnomia)(but could grow to it if aint carefull)
he is a little skinney but not horrible
i hope that is all the details about him

I was thinking warm soap @ water on just his hind end

whats your alls opinions?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A little heavy on the feeding for a jersey calf of that age, at least normally. How are his sides? If they are rounded out it's to much. If they are level with his ribs, it's okay. They don't always know they are full right away so you can't necessarily go by what he eats before he calls it quits.

He could be skinny due to the scours and should recover nicely now that he is over them as long as he doesn't get sick again. Watch that cough and make sure he doesn't have a temp.

As for the bath, if the weather is warm he should be okay. But, that stuff can be hard to get off. If you leave him alone he will shed it shortly too.

cw

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
his sides are level with the ribs, the thermoator in his arse says he is fine (he really likes that)(little guy is full of piss and vinegar)

oh yea he is starting to shed that should i let him (looks like his hide is peelin) or go a head and bath him, what shampoo works the best, we always use head and shoulders dandruff shampoo on all our animals as it it kills lice and fleas better then lice and flea shampoo plus it seems a little milder on the stink (dont use on cats)
yea i cant stand the little cough he has, but the vet says they do that,

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Funny, when my calves cough, I become concerned. There is usually something going on. Whether it's enough of something to be treated or not is usually the question. How experienced is your vet with cattle? And what kind of recommendations led you to him or did you just choose one from the phone book?

The Head and Shoulders would be fine. If he's already shedding it, it may be easier to let him do his thing. If you have a curry comb, you could try that. I wasn't kidding when I said that stuff can be hard to get out. It can stick just like thick glue.

Just so we are at the same level on his temp. Cattle normal temp is 101.5F

cw

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
he is a large animal vet, i ve always used him when we had our horses, the temp was pretty close to that (like a 100)(he was moving around and fighting)as far as the vet thinks, there may be little something going on (like you said watch that cough) its just not a persistant solid cough, no mucus, just a lite cough here and there

now you have me a little worried, i know once they get pnomonia it can get em in hours, is there something i shouls treat him with (go a head with a shot of pennicillon) he seems to be fine he holds his head up high, takes food good, the only thing that would say other wise is he doesnt bawl, (not vocal at all)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Some calves are not very vocal and others don't shut up. Just the nature of the beasts. He sounds like he is doing okay. Watch for a snotty nose, raspy breathing, or a temp, and of course listlessness. Pen. won't work on Pneumonia. You need something like LA 200 or Tylen. The vets also have other drugs they will use.

Just because a vet is good with horses doesn't mean they will be with cattle. Our vets will readily admit that they don't know horses well. So far he sounds okay with his saying there maybe something small going on but, not enough to treat.

cw

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
he may not be good with cattle, he is a horse man
i am under the impression he aint quite ready to treat this ,yet, is he is wanting the calve to build up its immune system .

you say listlelessness what do you mean?

sorry my vocab is small

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I mean when he doesn't want to play. When he looses his perkiness. Just wanting to lay or mope around.

Yes, building his immune system is a good thing, as long as it remains a mild issue.

Don't worry about your vocabulary. One thing I have learned is different parts of the country/world call things by a different name and this could very well be the case here. My DH is from Vermont and I grew up in WI. Many times we have had such a difference and had to explain what we mean.

cw

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ok i see , he sleeps a lot now but no more then any other calf, as far as playing do they when that young or should they start to

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They aren't running, kicking up their heals, jumping, picking on a cat or dog that comes near them, etc? If not, maybe it's because they have been sick with the scours but, yes, normally they are playing by now.