bathing calves

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just keep an exceptionally close eye. That cough would have me worried in a jersey, not so much in a holstein. If he has it for more then a couple days I would treat it becuase in the long run the calf may just run itself down trying to fight it, and well, jerseys arn't the greatest calves at fighting sickness. Plus the scours may have slowed his immune system from fighting the cough and may drag it on longer. :(

cw

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
wow, they aint running, or any of that yet, they are still kinda lanky on the legs, though when its tme to eat there ready to go

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
cw said:
wow, they aint running, or any of that yet, they are still kinda lanky on the legs, though when its tme to eat there ready to go
They will as they feel better. The scours can take a lot out of them. As long as they are ready to go when it's feeding time they are doing okay.

cw

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ok im startin to feel better, the little jersey is a little piggy, I gues they are less then 10 days old or thats what the guy who had em say, you know how some folks can be

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I'd keep the milk at 2 qts per feeding. Are you using a bucket? I've had calves inhale the milk and so they cough a bit after eating. ( Funny, they were mostly beefers). If he still wants more, offer electrolytes in water. And he should be eating some grain by this time. Get him on Calf Starter and good hay.

cw

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
there is electrolytes in the water, (they get them weather they are sick or not) they do not drink milk from a bucket ,but still on the bottle , they have grain , and eating a very little bit, they drink there water from a bucket, I was debating on starting them on the bucket as far as the milk

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Are you using a larger bottle than 2 qts or are you refilling it?
Give them the 2 qts and that's it. If they are hungry, they have water, grain and hay.
You could use a bucket if you want. I find the bottle easier to measure and maintain quantity consistency, but as long as you only add the right amount of milk replacer, you can water it down in the bucket. If you are using whole milk, MEASURE when using a bucket.

cw

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
2 quart bottle, but i am thinking to going to the bucket to save time as far as feeding, its just teaching them to get milk from the bucket, we tried with 1 of the holsteins, they drink there water, but not milk .

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If they are drinking water from a bucket they will drink their milk from one too. It's just a matter of putting the bucket by them and leaving it. Once they realize they are not going to get the bottle they will drink. Mine are all well pail broke before they are 10 days old so, they are not to young.

cw

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
here is an update on the little jersey, he took his bottle this mornin (only 2 quarts)but drank it like crazy, this afternoon in the heat of the day we washed his little hind end and it was more a deturant for the flys, then it did any good(you was right it was as thick as glue) he still seems a little runny back there, as far as his poop, whats the chances the scours come back just as fast as they go,? will the bottle to bucket bring the scours back i dont really want to chance it?
no cough, (at all) but had a little mucus on the nose. still under extreme watch.

whats your alls opinion on the medicated powder to go in the milk replacer?
it makes thre jersey's stomach a little upset, does it do any good to mix it less then what the directions say?

i also notice the eyes on the jersey look like he had been crying, (tears, so i sat down in his stall to see if the ammona was bad and it wasnt)
that barn circulates air really well, and i changed his stall anyway (aint taken any chances)
they seem kinda depressed untill its feeding time then there bright eyed, etc...