Baymule’s 2024 Lambing plus 12-23

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
WOW and double WOW.... and there are "doubles" no less.....

Congrats on saving the ram lamb... and on the rest all looking good.

Isn't Dessa the one that you and BJ bought and then she didn't breed and then she did settle when SHE decided she liked the "mate" you bred her to??? And then she had a dead lamb and you had to start over with her???? Maybe it was a different one but her name sticks with me... That is great that she had twins and that you managed to get the ram up and going...
No matter.... glad you are getting multiples... gives you more options and choices... and a few to sell to help buy hay for next year... At least you will have a faster return than we do for the calves... and with all the rain you had, the ground water is recharged so you ought to have some good grass for a bit... Perfect for lactating ewes and lamb growth...

Soooo glad for you.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes... third generation is 7/8 or 87.5%. He can be graded-up to a 100% registered ram if he passes his hair coat inspection as a yearling. So I would not sell him before a year if you have space.
I have his full sister, Beauty, from last year. She will be going in a breeding pen with Rocky soon. She looks to have a normal winter coat and I’ll be able to see how she sheds out. Kinda of a sneak preview. Beauty is black with chrome. LOL

My plans for rams is not to bother registering any until they come from fully registered ewes. I sell the top of the crop as commercial and take rest to auction.

This little boy has good breeding and the flashy color. If he can back it up with the conformation, he might get to stick around. Ewenique is his great great grandmother, my ol’ reliable, twins every year and 10 years old now and still looks like the day we bought her as a bred yearling. She confounded me with boys and very few ewe lambs, but now in her old age, she is having ewes. Go figure.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, @farmerjan you are right. We bought 2 ewes from Howard Covington, he has a waiting list for his lambs. He’s on the board for Tex Kats and the southern Katahdin club and has served on Katahdin International. Very well known and he sells out. That was in June of 2021. Then my world fell apart, I sold the farm, moved to son’s house, was there 6 months, then moved here. While at son’s house, Dolly prolapsed, a month from delivery. I couldn’t get a vet out because I wasn’t already a client. @Ridgetop was telling me to catch her, sew her up and I was sick with Covid for the second time, utterly exhausted and could barely get off the sofa. So i called a friend to come over and shoot her to put her out of her misery. That was all I could do.

So that left Dessa. BJ picked her out and named her. She never would breed. I guess she thought Ringo was a dirty old man and she just wasn’t having him.

I had barely moved in here and Ridgetop, her DH and I took off for Tennessee to @Mike CHS and Teresa’s to go get Cooper. When we got back, we put Dessa with Cooper. Barren, I figured she could at least be company for Cooper. Well! Dessa fell in love! Who saw THAT coming? Finally! And what a disappointment, breech and dead ram lamb.

Back in the breeding pen with Cooper and several other ewes. Every time he bred another ewe, Dessa was standing there disapproving. LOL Obviously she thought he was only hers and hers alone.

Dessa has the Golden Ticket. Because BJ picked her and named her, she stays. Period. So now, at 3 years old, she has finally presented me with live twins. She has finally found her groove and it’s Cooper. But there are 2 young and VERY handsome rams here and she might prefer one of them. After all, Cooper has cheated on her continuously after she declared her love for him! 💔💔💔

Dessa is being a good mom, she’s just taken the long road to get here.

I went back and bought 2 ewes from Howard Covington last spring and they are earmarked to go in with Ringo 2.0 soon.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
She confounded me with boys and very few ewe lambs, but now in her old age, she is having ewes. Go figure.

Showing her appreciation & 💕

I had a ND whom I bought with her FF doeling alongside. For 6 yrs, she had trips. Her dtr, 5 yrs of trips. EVERY one were boys!!! 😳🤣 Finally, yr 7, she had trips but one was girl. Lotta hay $. 🎉🤣🤣

With the minis it's been shown that sometimes their uterine fluids actually destroy the female swimmers. So, yes I had a mare who never had a filly, no matter to which stallion bred. 🤷

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is Nora, triplet daughter of Miranda and Ringo. Both are gone now. But I have triplet sisters from them and the other 2 look like a dead swollen hog in the sunshine, about to explode!

And Nora had triplets! 1 red ewe, 1 white ewe and 1 brown ram. Second generation lambs.

IMG_6254.jpeg