Baymule’s 2024 Lambing plus 12-23

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok maybe Dessa is a not so great mom. I just came home and saw one of her lambs out in the field, all alone, crying. Stopped car, went and got him, took him back to Dessa. This morning she ran out on the field, leaving babies behind.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tiny triplet sister to Nora who had triplets this morning, just had triplets. Two white ewes and a speckled ram. Nova is due now, waiting to see if she has triplets too.

IMG_6264.jpeg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is Nora, triplet daughter of Miranda and Ringo. Both are gone now. But I have triplet sisters from them and the other 2 look like a dead swollen hog in the sunshine, about to explode!

And Nora had triplets! 1 red ewe, 1 white ewe and 1 brown ram. Second generation lambs.

View attachment 106361
Ohhhhhh 🥰

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nova had triplets yesterday, 2 rams and a ewe.
That makes 17 lambs from 7 ewes.

Sitting here this morning, I’ve come up with 5 grown ewes that I’m going to sell. 2 are registered, out of the 3 ewes I bought and it took a year and a half to get their papers and only after KHSI Katahdin registry got involved. I’m not impressed with these 2 and will take them to auction. I’m going to sell 3 ewes I raised, recorded at 50%, because I now have daughters from them that are or can be recorded at 75%. My 3 are WAY better than the other 2. But now I am farther towards my goal and can let some go.

Pinto, recorded at 50%, who had twins first lambing and now has triplets. I have her daughter from last year and will keep one from this year.

Butterfly recorded at 75%. I have her daughter from last year now recorded at 87.5%, eligible for registration, and I’ll keep her daughter from this year.

Cookie, recorded at 50% I have her daughter from last year and she is due now. I’ll see what she has.

I can’t keep keeping new lambs and all the ewes too. As I move up, this process will continue.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nova had triplets yesterday, 2 rams and a ewe.
That makes 17 lambs from 7 ewes.

Sitting here this morning, I’ve come up with 5 grown ewes that I’m going to sell. 2 are registered, out of the 3 ewes I bought and it took a year and a half to get their papers and only after KHSI Katahdin registry got involved. I’m not impressed with these 2 and will take them to auction. I’m going to sell 3 ewes I raised, recorded at 50%, because I now have daughters from them that are or can be recorded at 75%. My 3 are WAY better than the other 2. But now I am farther towards my goal and can let some go.

Pinto, recorded at 50%, who had twins first lambing and now has triplets. I have her daughter from last year and will keep one from this year.

Butterfly recorded at 75%. I have her daughter from last year now recorded at 87.5%, eligible for registration, and I’ll keep her daughter from this year.

Cookie, recorded at 50% I have her daughter from last year and she is due now. I’ll see what she has.

I can’t keep keeping new lambs and all the ewes too. As I move up, this process will continue.
What a wonderful position to be in. You’ve worked hard to get there - enjoy the new process!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
2 are registered, out of the 3 ewes I bought and it took a year and a half to get their papers and only after KHSI Katahdin registry got involved. I’m not impressed with these 2 and will take them to auction. I’m going to sell 3 ewes I raised, recorded at 50%, because I now have daughters from them that are or can be recorded at 75%.
Don't send them to auction! Advertise them as registered, and the others as "recorded" or "recordable". Set your prices on the registered ewes as to the value for registered Katahdin ewes, set your prices on the others as to their value.

They will be a good buy for someone who wants to add registered Katahdins. You could also sell them as a package with one of your registered ram lambs. People starting out would be thrilled to start with registered stock. Sell for what you paid and call it even. You are keeping lambs out of them right? Even though you don't like the registered ewes, they ARE registered which is one step ahead of grade recorded stock and may give you some better lambs bred to one of your rams.

In addition, if you can sell a registered "package" flock to newbies, you will be making a reputation for yourself by selling healthy registered Katahdins. Your excellent reputation will grow because you are available to help newbies with questions about their flock. When these newbies get questions about their new flock, where do you think those buyers will send the new clients? Straight to your farm and their knowledgeable mentor - you!!