Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m concerned about my freezers. There are 2 in the added on utility room that is always hot. The afternoon/evening sun hits it and bakes it.

IMG_6887.jpeg

I took the tarp that didn’t get shredded in its flying around the fields yesterday and put it up with nails and hay string across the posts on the back porch.

IMG_6888.jpeg

If it deflects just some of the afternoon heat, I’ll call it a win.

IMG_6889.jpeg

In other news, the mail lady called me this morning to tell me she hit my mailbox yesterday and would pay for fixing it. Poor lady was out delivering mail in a HURRICANE! ! I assured her that it was no big deal and I will fix it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bless your mail lady!
It looks kinda cratered. I’ll take it and see if I can fix it. If not, I’ll get another one.

Just got home. There are only 1760 without power. Lucky me! I win the booby prize-no power for me! 😂😂😂😂

Half of Lufkin does not have power. Fortunately the Chinese buffet did and I got 2 plates and guzzled ice tea.
Home Depot had power, Lowe’s practically next door, did not. I was met at the open door by an associate with a fading flashlight and we stumbled around in the dark to get the split pipe wrap I wanted. I will take apart the tangled mess of 3 cow panels that was a sheep shelter and put it back up. It was working until a hurricane came along. I use the pipe wrap on the edges to keep the tarp from tearing.

The tarp I put up this morning to shade the utility room is helping.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
At 10;00 last night, there were 538 without power. One of them is me. It’s hot already at 7:25 AM.
Living off grid one of the things we do and will help you in the future is if there is a space in the freezer we fill up a Gatorade bottle(s) and stick them in its space. I only run our freezer 12 hours at the most on a timer here.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, you're one of the "special" ones 😳🙄

They should be giving you special attention today ! 👍

I keep bottles of water frozen, too. Plus a couple half filled -- I add water to the half filled & take out when tractoring or driving, for cold water. Big chunk of ice slower to melt. PLUS ya can't get ice cubes in the bottle neck.🙄 :lol:

Frozen bottles can go in cooler, vice buying bagged ice...I do keep jell packs frozen, too.

Last edited:

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
I keep bottles of water frozen, too. Plus a couple half filled -- I add water to the half filled & take out when tractoring or driving, for cold water. Big chunk of ice slower to melt. PLUS ya can't get ice cubes in the bottle neck.🙄 :lol:

Frozen bottles can go in cooler, vice buying bagged ice...I do keep jell packs frozen, too.
For 4 years we didn't have a fridge here, we just used ice chest and frozen bottle from the freezer.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
It looks kinda cratered. I’ll take it and see if I can fix it. If not, I’ll get another one.

Just got home. There are only 1760 without power. Lucky me! I win the booby prize-no power for me! 😂😂😂😂

Half of Lufkin does not have power. Fortunately the Chinese buffet did and I got 2 plates and guzzled ice tea.
Home Depot had power, Lowe’s practically next door, did not. I was met at the open door by an associate with a fading flashlight and we stumbled around in the dark to get the split pipe wrap I wanted. I will take apart the tangled mess of 3 cow panels that was a sheep shelter and put it back up. It was working until a hurricane came along. I use the pipe wrap on the edges to keep the tarp from tearing.

The tarp I put up this morning to shade the utility room is helping.
They've got dozens of generators & light towers in stock but have some poor guy with a flashlight leading customers around? .... & can't give him fresh batteries?

I'm glad they were able to help you anyway.
You'll have it patched up in no time. And soon it'll be better than before.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
By 10 PM, only 4,732 were without electricity. I’m one of them. Power should be restored by Wednesday evening, last remnants by Thursday.
You live in hurricane country and don't have a generator?

Sorry for the mess, glad it wasn't worse. We are getting your rain "remnants" today, likely will have Tstorms but should not be near as bad as what TX got.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You live in hurricane country and don't have a generator?

The last hurricane that knocked out power was Ike in 2008. Since a giant oak fell on the house where electricity was connected, we had to get that fixed first before we could get power turned back on. So 3 1/2 weeks later, we got power. We borrowed a generator to keep refrigerator, freezer and fans.
So…..16 years later……. Why bother with a generator? There are frequent power outages but they last a short time.

Latest posts