Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_6828.png

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The east side is called the dirty side. That means the worst rain and wind. Not looking for a lot of damage here. I’m about 140 miles to the Golf of Mexico, 100 miles to the Trinity Bay.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bought 10 more bales of hay this morning. Son hauled it for me, then unloaded it. His tractor came with a bucket and pallet forks. Pallet forks don’t do a stellar job on hay bales, but he made it work.

IMG_6831.jpeg

IMG_6830.jpeg

Feral hogs were up near the yard last night. That’s too close! They were probably 20-30 feet from the gate going into the yard.

IMG_6829.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Capture one, castrate it, keep it for a bit then have ample supply of bacon and sausage for free!
Just shoot the da#@ thing, and if under 100 lbs, it would make very lean / good eating.

I’d go with just shoot a little one. They only come in at night, I don’t have a night scope. I got a couple of 30-30’s and 22’s. Guess I ought to go shoot targets and practice. It’s been many years since I hunted.

I keep hearing how vicious feral hogs can be. Are they any threat to your sheep? Or lambs?

Sheep and lambs are put up at night. The dogs go barking nuts and keep the hogs away. But yes, they would snatch a lamb in a heartbeat. With the hogs coming in, I don’t walk the back field, I’m either on the mule or tractor. Since practically everyone around here shoots at them, they are leery of humans, and will run. But I wouldn’t want to be on foot when a bunch of hogs showed up.

When I start clearing fence row back there in the fall, I will be armed, and I’ll have the mule. I can always climb up in the bed of the mule.

I’ve slaughtered feral hogs before. The young ones are good to eat, the old ones are buzzard bait. I butchered a young one for a neighbor several years ago, in Lindale. I didn’t take any of the meat, they were poor and that meat meant a lot to them. He also brought me a fresh road kill deer once and I butchered it out for them.

Been thinking about baiting the hogs with some soured corn on a moonlit night. But I’d wait until after a hard killing frost so they wouldn’t be so wormy.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s raining. Hurricane is on the way. My area is expected to get 5-7” of rain according to KLTV weather in Tyler. Houston news is more hysterical and they really jump on the band wagon, hyping it up, and sometimes getting downright ridiculous.

Hurricane Beryl is supposed to downgrade to a tropical storm. We have already had worse storms here this winter and spring.

But I did my little get ready for the storm thing. The chicken coop built on a trailer that o got such a good deal on was in the middle field, leaning seriously towards the east. An armadillo dug tunnels under it, dogs dug it out and killed the armadillo. Then dogs laid up under it, digging holes. Cooper the ram used it for a rubbing post. I thought if we did get some high winds, it might blow on over. So I hitched it to the truck, let Sentry ride in the back seat, and moved it to the back field between the 2 shipping containers.

Then I took Carson for a truck ride, it’s his birthday. Got animals all fed and cared for, it will be a rainy day tomorrow.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh and the Lake Livingston dam is in danger of maybe sorta kinda halfway might fail. But don’t worry folks, it’s under repair. Nothing to see here!

IMG_6859.png

IMG_6858.png

The authorities are more worried about a water supply for Houston than washing away people who would be washed out the Gulf of Mexico?
Then after that happy news for all the people down River, now the FAA is not allowing any drones to fly over the dam, checking out the repairs. Dont want to panic people now do they?

IMG_6860.png

IMG_6861.png

IMG_6862.png