Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did lose another one. He went down and I brought him back home. He died overnight. So that makes 11 out of 31.

I ran those ewes through the chute this morning. Someone has tapeworms so I gave them all Zimectrin Gold horse wormer. It’s ivermectin and praziiquantel. I got fecal samples on most of them. I didn’t try for fecals on the 7 ewe lambs I kept, but they got wormed just to make sure.

I want to get them in breeding pens soon for what will probably be February lambs. With luck maybe January. I’m trying to push this group back so next year I won’t have 2 separate groups.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here ya go just for comparison. This was this past Wednesday. This is where I take.my goats to. I also take chickens. Rooters usually bring $15. Check out the bull calf prices
Screenshot_20240802-213656.png
here ya go

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looking at the prices for hogs I rather stay home. Seriously 340 lbs only getting $323 at $95 cwt. Barely pay for my fuel to get there much less the food and if one didn't raise it from a piglet there is more loss.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pigs never bring much at my local auctions. Can get a weanling for $5-6. I've seen grown hogs go for $20-30 total, to get them out of the ring! Most don't want to raise them -- the mess is usually the primary reason. Pigs can be destructive. Plus you need a lot of air fresheners :lol:

Lamb & goat, seasonal. Goats are not as sought out except for ethnic groups who have a background in eating it. In my part of the states, the area near DC use more. Shame really, a good meat goat is very tasty fare! USA imports majority of lamb for stores. Our farmers don't raise enough for the demand.

Land, forage and typical weather have made goat & lamb the primary animal for dairy and meat, in many countries in the world. Most Americans don't realize the popularity of these livestock worldwide.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pigs never bring much at my local auctions. Can get a weanling for $5-6. I've seen grown hogs go for $20-30 total, to get them out of the ring! Most don't want to raise them -- the mess is usually the primary reason. Pigs can be destructive. Plus you need a lot of air fresheners :lol:

Lamb & goat, seasonal. Goats are not as sought out except for ethnic groups who have a background in eating it. In my part of the states, the area near DC use more. Shame really, a good meat goat is very tasty fare! USA imports majority of lamb for stores. Our farmers don't raise enough for the demand.

Land, forage and typical weather have made goat & lamb the primary animal for dairy and meat, in many countries in the world. Most Americans don't realize the popularity of these livestock worldwide.
I believe proper pasture management is the problem for destruction amongst too many in small area. Yes pigs root, just as voles, badgers, rabbits and prairie dig holes out here. Reason any hogs stink is same as feed lots for cows,
shove any amount of animal in confined enough area and it's going to stink.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The pig pen we built in Lindale was big enough for the pigs to have their potty corner. We built a 12’x12’ 3 sided shed, there was a 12’ gate and we used a 200’ roll of non climb wire. There were trees in it for shade and it was next to the garden. I tossed them garden goodies over the fence. There was little to no smell.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Simpleterrier that’s a big auction. Do they run several rings at the same time? I bet the wait time for unloading takes a long time. The sheep prices seem to be about the same as prices at the sheep and goat prices in west Texas. There are several huge sheep and goat auctions in west Texas, but too far away to make it worthwhile for me.

East Texas is more cattle than small livestock. Their market reports reflect cattle prices and some don’t even post sheep and goat prices and if they do, it’s a bottom price to a top price, all sold by the head. East Texas auctions suck.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They have one ring maybe two. But they do sell the chickens and rabbits and stuff in a hoop barn. Unloading starts the night before. They have a drive threw. The longest I've waited was about 20 mins and it doesn't take five to unload. They have it set up good. Also it's run by the Amish so when one man shows up six kids with sticks follow. If you lose a chicken in the parking lot that bird will be caught and sold by some Amish kid before the sale starts the next day. They do a spring sheep and goat sale. And also a horse sale for buggy and work horses and some for riding. Interesting side note they are crossing their buggy and work horses. I forget what they call them but they are liking that cross for field work. Instead of two draft they are using 3 cross bred. More strength and the 3 eat less.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score