Baymule’s Journal

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
T post puller with chain hooked up to the bucket on the tractor pulls the t posts right out. Our dirt may be softer though, dunno if it works as easily if the ground is like cement. We have the jack type somewhere, for safe keeping, but the little metal piece which works with the chain attached to something is usually what we use along with the tractor to get the pesky t posts out.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I ran the ewe crew through the chute this morning and took fecal samples. Some of them don’t look very good. I think it’s a combination of factors. No grass. Extreme heat. Having lambs on them. I weaned the ram lambs a couple of weeks ago. I’ll wean the ewe lambs next week. But I need to examine them for worms and see if they got that going on too.

Then instead of going inside, getting out the microscope and checking the samples for parasites, I decided to set a couple of posts.
Son used the tractor auger to drill the holes weeks ago, but it’s been so hot that I just didn’t care.

The posts weigh more than I do, so I got help, Marigold!

IMG_4923.jpeg

I set both posts, kicked dirt in the hole, tamp, poured water, tamp, more dirt, tamp, water, dirt, tamp, until they were done.

I could have stopped there, but I didn’t. I gathered up tools and set the cross bar in the H brace. Then made the X with twisted smooth wire.

I’ve never done an H brace all by myself. I was always the helper, assisting the men folks. I’m kinda proud of myself. And I’m tired too.

IMG_4927.jpeg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Stick should stay in the loop and when you string the wire or the woven wire, it will be against the fence wire so that the twisted wire can't untwist and lose the tightness... sorta like the fence wire is the "stop" and it can't keep untwisting around and lose the tightness...it will lose the tightness over time if there is nothing there to help to hold it in place. That is why so many now use the ratchet tighteners... which we don't... but they don't let go unless the ratchet lets go... It's not like they just start untwisting in a circle or anything... but over time they will work their way looser.
Brace looks pretty good.....water and dirt and tamp and water will make it just like concrete there, with the way your weather has gotten so dry...

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I ran the ewe crew through the chute this morning and took fecal samples. Some of them don’t look very good. I think it’s a combination of factors. No grass. Extreme heat. Having lambs on them. I weaned the ram lambs a couple of weeks ago. I’ll wean the ewe lambs next week. But I need to examine them for worms and see if they got that going on too.

Then instead of going inside, getting out the microscope and checking the samples for parasites, I decided to set a couple of posts.
Son used the tractor auger to drill the holes weeks ago, but it’s been so hot that I just didn’t care.

The posts weigh more than I do, so I got help, Marigold!

View attachment 101170

I set both posts, kicked dirt in the hole, tamp, poured water, tamp, more dirt, tamp, water, dirt, tamp, until they were done.

I could have stopped there, but I didn’t. I gathered up tools and set the cross bar in the H brace. Then made the X with twisted smooth wire.

I’ve never done an H brace all by myself. I was always the helper, assisting the men folks. I’m kinda proud of myself. And I’m tired too.

View attachment 101171
Great Job!! That's a lot of hard work but it's going to be something that you'll appreciate for years.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looking at the work you did made me feel guilty that as true and loyal BYHers we didn't do our fencing ourselves. Then it made me feel sooooo grateful that we didn't do our fencings ourselves. :th

I wonder if you could get that logging crew to take out that dead tree for you and add it to their load. Or at least maybe drop it for you after they finish for the day.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looking at the work you did made me feel guilty that as true and loyal BYHers we didn't do our fencing ourselves. Then it made me feel sooooo grateful that we didn't do our fencings ourselves. :th

I wonder if you could get that logging crew to take out that dead tree for you and add it to their load. Or at least maybe drop it for you after they finish for the day.
That’s not how it works with logging crews. They use a shear, they wouldn’t move it to my place to cut one tree and if they did, no telling what they would charge.