Biotracking Day 28?

Tiss

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My BFF is in town today and is willing to draw blood for me on my last untested doe. The kicker, she's only 28 days post breeding.

Has anyone had luck with the test before the 30 day point?

I'll have to wait a couple weeks until she's back in town if we don't draw blood today (I'm hopeless at doing it myself) and I'm anxious to know- this doe aborted last fall and I think she may finally be settled this year. If she's not settled I would like to know sooner rather than later to make the decision to cull her or fork over the money for a trip to the vet at Auburn U.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd wait. If it comes up negative then you still won't really know and will want to do it again. You will be wondering if she really isn't bred or if it was just early.

Tiss

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm afraid you're right. This waiting is killing me though. I really don't want to have to get rid of this doe.

I'm hoping she's pregnant this time! She didn't go into heat when she was supposed to (she's very vocal about it) but I am slightly worried because my buck was crazy for her the night before she was supposed to cycle.

It's just enough to make me wonder.

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My BFF is in town today and is willing to draw blood for me on my last untested doe. The kicker, she's only 28 days post breeding.

Has anyone had luck with the test before the 30 day point?

I'll have to wait a couple weeks until she's back in town if we don't draw blood today (I'm hopeless at doing it myself) and I'm anxious to know- this doe aborted last fall and I think she may finally be settled this year. If she's not settled I would like to know sooner rather than later to make the decision to cull her or fork over the money for a trip to the vet at Auburn U.
I just sent in a 25 day post breeding test. Biotracking said that it could possibly come up positive. We got a negative back. For us it was worth it because the next time we can pull blood on this particular doe will be in several weeks, so we went ahead. We were mainly checking another doe and had a round of blood shipping anyway.

Tiss

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I ended up waiting, and good news. She's pregnant!

Tiss

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
April 19!
Hey, I posted about another doe over in "Diseases". Her back feet are bothering her. Please check out my post and offer suggestions if you have any idea.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We will be kidding with you! :weee

I did see the post... I am stumped. No cracks or anything embedded like a thorn or anything? Odd that it is both.

Tiss

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm starting to think maybe it's the beginning of foundering. I don't feed her a particularly rich diet- I don't think a pound of feed and a pound of alfalfa is rich for a fullsized milker. She's been dry about a month in anticipation for kidding mid March.

She's always had rather long pasterns which have made hoof trimming a challenge. On top of that, she kicks the stuffing out of me every time I trim her hooves Her hooves aren't in bad shape at all, though perhaps not up to the standard of my other girls (see above comment regarding stuffing). But I was just thinking in the last month or so how she had finally grown into her feet.

I hate to mess with feed too much during the last 2 months of gestation, but I have to get this lameness taken care of. I'm thinking cutting her grain back slightly to see if it makes a difference.

I plan to check/wash/trim hooves daily and hopefully she'll start to turn around. And I'll probably be black and blue and bloodied.

Here are some pictures. You can see how she's favoring her back feet.

Latest posts