Blessedfarmgirl's Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I managed to catch this picture tonight! How sweet is this?? 😍 I think he's trying to make me melt with his sweetness so I'll forget he was a bad boy today.
Also, the level of trust this ewe has in him speaks for itself. It's a good dog if the sheep feel comfortable enough to use him as a pillow.

View attachment 109134
Now That's a Picture of the week!

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've been having a breeding saga with the goats. 😅 Last fall when I got my buck and bred my first doe, it was so easy. I put him in the doe barn and they were done in two minutes. I took him back, and five months later we had kids. Silly me thought it would always be that easy. Four or five heat cycles and 6 or 7 fruitless buck visits later this spring, I realized I was doing something wrong. Some wise people told me I was likely missing their standing heat window, since they were together only 15 minutes at a time. So I changed plans. The junior doe went in with the buck. She hated him at first, and I will post a picture from the "I hate him" time period in which she grew wings. But now they get along. I'm hoping that means she is bred. I'm getting a preg test done at the end of the month. The other doe I am trying to breed is in milk, so she has to stay in the doe barn. The last time she was in heat was the beginning of the month and I put her in after morning milking and took her out when it was time to milk again. She has not been back into heat, so I'm hopeful. So we'll see what happens! At least I know better now. Seems I'm always learning something.

Geeeeet meeee ooout of heeeere mooom!!!!!!!
1000002405.jpg

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, we did get the pen ready, but we didn't have a trailer borrowed until literally tonight. The Lord provided last minute.
Our house may or may not be a mess... We had a crazy couple days getting ready for new animals, working, moving sheep and chickens, going to Bible studies, grocery shopping, feed runs and helping with a surprise party for someone. And now I get to get up at 5am for a road trip. I think I'm going to sleep for a week after this...oh wait. That's right. Farmers don't sleep. 😅😆

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They're here!! I am super happy to announce the arrival of two ewes and a ram from @Baymule!
Cookie, Butterfly and a registered Cooper son now reside at our farm. I am excited to begin my journey of breeding up to registered. So thankful she trusted me with these 3.
I had so much fun meeting her and all the dogs and sheep. Carson is as sweet as I knew he'd be. We even had a poop party and I learned how to do a fecal float.
We will be changing Cookie's name since we already have someone named Cookie here and it has already gotten confusing. I'm not sure what her new name will be. The ram lamb got a name this morning. Sir Lambs-a-lot!
Butterfly and L both touched the electric fence and decided to avoid it, and Cookie saw what happened and didn't touch it herself. They are skittish, but it won't be long before they're begging for treats and pets. They are all very happy with the tall weeds and grass.

1000002476.jpg

1000002480.jpg

1000002482.jpg

1000002485.jpg