Blessedfarmgirl's Journal

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I got a deposit on my buck today! Actually on my buck and his wether friend. They're going together to a good home with a bunch of girls and a big pasture. It's funny because I didn't expect to sell my buck first, it's usually harder to sell bucks because the market is so flooded!

I'm heading out on Saturday to pick out my new buck who will be a huge upgrade. I'm either getting the son or grandson of a doe who made 9lbs a day at her peak on milk test! That's about a gallon which is incredible for a Nigerian. Contrast that to my current buck who will be leaving, his dam only produced 2-3 pounds per day. First big step toward a dairy: a good milky buck!

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I got a deposit on my buck today! Actually on my buck and his wether friend. They're going together to a good home with a bunch of girls and a big pasture. It's funny because I didn't expect to sell my buck first, it's usually harder to sell bucks because the market is so flooded!

I'm heading out on Saturday to pick out my new buck who will be a huge upgrade. I'm either getting the son or grandson of a doe who made 9lbs a day at her peak on milk test! That's about a gallon which is incredible for a Nigerian. Contrast that to my current buck who will be leaving, his dam only produced 2-3 pounds per day. First big step toward a dairy: a good milky buck!
Any pics of him👀? 9lbs is MORE than a gallon, great for a nigie!!

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Any pics of him👀? 9lbs is MORE than a gallon, great for a nigie!!
No pics yet! I'm going to see them on Saturday and pick whether I want the son or grandson so I'll get some pics then. I do have a side pic of the doe's udder though. Not a great foreudder, but she told me the sires of the bucks improved attachments on her daughters, so hopefully her sons will also pass that down plus the high production. You're right, that is a bit over a gallon! I'm not sure what freshening this pic is from, I'll have to ask.
Best part is I'm getting the buck for a bargain price. She's trying to considerably size down her herd (from 80+ goats down to 20 or so) so she's selling all bucks for $300 regardless of pedigree. These guys are probably worth twice that! The doe herself sold for $850.

1000002716.jpg

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Change of plans and we ended up going to see the bucks today. We dropped two yearling gilts at a new farm where they will be spoiled rotten, then went to the goat farm.

The buck I wanted, the son of the super milky doe, ended up being monorchid, or whatever it's called. She didn't know, but I don't blame her. With all those goats something like that can slip through the cracks. Lol. But as soon as I saw him I new something wasn't right. He was nice looking otherwise, so I was disappointed.

So I'm getting the grandson of the doe instead. His sire is a permanent champion! He's a cute little guy. I'm bringing him home in September after our trip.
@Youngfarmer2019 here he is! Very fluffy, so I'll have a better idea what he's like after I shave him. I like his brisket though.

1000002722.jpg

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Good job on spotting the monorchid! I hope that didn’t come down from his mother’s side.
Hopefully not! 😬 But I'm more leaning towards the sire. Dam comes from a really reputable herd and I doubt they would knowingly breed animals that had that issue. I'll ask some more questions though. Can it be passed down without being present physically I wonder?