Blessedfarmgirl's Journal

blessedfarmgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This was a few weeks ago before she lambed. It's bigger now.
I don't have any of that, is it an antibiotic? Would I need to go to a vet for it?

IMG_20240103_115350323.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is that lump hard or pliable? Yes oxytetracycline is an antibiotic and used to be OTC, not now. If you need vet for buy, take goat there for diagnosis & IV of meds.

blessedfarmgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's hard and attached to the jaw firmly, I've felt it multiple times.

Well, part of why I immediately figured I need to slaughter is that we're going through a tough time financially and we really can't afford a vet right now. But now that I know that it's treatable we might see if we could squeeze that into the budget.
I wonder how much something like that would cost? Would it be worth it? She was going to be sold this summer anyway.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could be an abscess from a minute cut also or a puncture of a thorn or something while eating...... I would not get too panicky about it and if it should burst, clean out good and keep clean. Since she seems otherwise healthy and is feeding the lamb, I would not be in a rush to just butcher her.

blessedfarmgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Could be an abscess from a minute cut also or a puncture of a thorn or something while eating...... I would not get too panicky about it and if it should burst, clean out good and keep clean. Since she seems otherwise healthy and is feeding the lamb, I would not be in a rush to just butcher her.
It's been there for over a month, (maybe more and I didn't notice) growing slowly at first then rapidly and it's hard, not soft. I'm not panicking at all, I've been monitoring her over time, and needed to make a decision soon about what to do. From my initial research, it seemed that lumpy jaw wasn't curable and often recurs, that's why I am considering slaughter.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just read your reply that she was going to be sold this summer anyway. Unless she has trouble eating, I would not worry about it too much then. Let her raise her lamb, if it is hard, then not much the vet could do for it most likely.... if hard it is unlikely to burst like an infection.
A ewe her size/age would get sold for slaughter and the lump may deflate her price somewhat... but as long as she is not showing any signs of distress, or having trouble eating, and it is hard, she cannot pass it on to any one else. The only time it is something that anyone else can get is contact with her if it bursts and the fluid gets in contact with others.

blessedfarmgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just read your reply that she was going to be sold this summer anyway. Unless she has trouble eating, I would not worry about it too much then. Let her raise her lamb, if it is hard, then not much the vet could do for it most likely.... if hard it is unlikely to burst like an infection.
A ewe her size/age would get sold for slaughter and the lump may deflate her price somewhat... but as long as she is not showing any signs of distress, or having trouble eating, and it is hard, she cannot pass it on to any one else. The only time it is something that anyone else can get is contact with her if it bursts and the fluid gets in contact with others.
Ok, I might do that. As long as it isn't transmissible. I just hope she doesn't get bad before the lamb is weaning age, that's my only concern. I'll just keep an eye on how she looks and hopefully she'll hold out a couple months more.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have any experience with abscesses? If this is an abscess, it will “ripen”. The hair will come off on the top, exposing the skin. Watch closely for this. If it bursts open, it will spread millions of bacteria. If it ripens, isolate her, restrain her and cut it open with a exacto knife or super sharp small knife. Wear disposable gloves. Have a bag ready. Squeeze the goop out on paper towels, put in bag to be thrown away. Clean thoroughly until no more pus comes out. Wash out with idiodine . Keep her isolated until it heals up.