Blessedfarmgirl's Journal

blessedfarmgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Today I was looking at pics of Annie, my smallest goat, and I'm amazed how far she's come since we got her in April. She was so small and thin, not dangerously so, but definitely underweight. I think she was on the bottom of the pecking order, (she still is) and since her breeder has a large herd, she didn't get the growing rations she needed to thrive. I'm pretty sure her weight and small size contributed to her not getting bred the first time, even though she was with a buck for a month prior to coming on my farm. She was also incredibly skittish to the point where we'd have to chase her for several minutes to catch her, even with a leash to step on.
Fast forward to today. She is a healthy weight and two months pregnant, she's almost to the point where I don't need the leash to step on, and even her conformation has improved (I think).
Here are the pictures:

A month or so after we got her:
Annie.jpg

Right after she was bred:
Screenshot 2023-10-26 161425.png

Yesterday:

IMG_20240114_153204967.jpg

blessedfarmgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, y'all! It really is satisfying to see results and know that I'm doing at least something right.

@Youngfarmer2019 Here they are! I have been wanting to take some good pics of him, and you gave me a good excuse to finally get them 😄 He's growing out really well and I'm getting more and more impressed with his conformation. He really sets up poorly though, he always puts his feet back as soon as I try to place them🙄 That's why the best pic is the one where I'm still setting him up. Little sis did a good job helping me.
And of course his little bucky friends are trying to photo bomb for treats the whole time. I do need to get those two burdizzoed, lol.

IMG_20240117_110012494~2.jpg

IMG_20240117_110337127_PORTRAIT.jpg
IMG_20240117_105820663.jpg

blessedfarmgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, for the first time I understand the phrase "fire the customer". At least, I'd dearly like to fire one of mine. She bought two registered doelings from me in November, and since my breeder had yet to get me the service memos, I told her I'd register them myself instead of giving her the papers so she could do it, and I would mail them to her when they arrived. It took another month for me just to get the memos, (my breeder was recovering from cancer treatments and travel) and I sent the papers in December 5th. The customer contacted me in December asking about the papers. I told her I was waiting on the registry, and I'd keep her updated. She contacted me in January, asking "are you getting the papers or what?". I was annoyed because I clearly told her I was waiting on the registry, but I politely repeated myself. Today, she contacted me asking for a REFUND. I told her that the goats were non-refundable, and repeated myself again, politely, that the registry was backed up, especially this time of year. She told me that she never said she wanted to return the goats, (when she just asked for a refund) and she then said she "just wants those papers I promised". I gave her AGS's number and email and told her that she could contact them, but that they are backed up 3 months on papers, like I had tried to tell her 3 times already.

This whole thing was very frustrating, and I really can't understand why she's so impatient. She has no reason to believe I am trying to cheat her out of her papers. We only met once and for 20 minutes, why does she think I'm the problem? At least maybe she'll just bother the registry now. I wonder how I can prevent this from happening in the future?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Next time hand over whatever paperwork you have. As for not understanding why she's impatient...... I know nothing about goats or their registries (though through here I've learned that the registries seem like a hot mess). I DO know dog registries - AKC and FCI (European) papers are given to the buyers at time of purchase and possession of the dog/pup. Put yourself in her shoes - does she know the registries and whatever are / can be a hot mess?? You know things are slower than molasses in January, she may not.