Blessedfarmgirl's Journal

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Annie is bred to my new buck and due hopefully March 11th! She has milk star genetics, so really rooting for kids from her.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 161425.png

I also have lambs due from Jan-March...long spread, I know. We'll just have lots of surprise lambs. I can't wait for babies again!
On a random note, it's raining today and the AC is temporarily not working. This is what happens when you leave the door open to let in cool air...
He's not inside, he promises.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 1603590.png

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Annie is bred to my new buck and due hopefully March 11th! She has milk star genetics, so really rooting for kids from her.

View attachment 102426

I also have lambs due from Jan-March...long spread, I know. We'll just have lots of surprise lambs. I can't wait for babies again!
On a random note, it's raining today and the AC is temporarily not working. This is what happens when you leave the door open to let in cool air...
He's not inside, he promises.

View attachment 102425
I feel the same way…we have goat kids due Jan-March😵‍💫

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I sold my last two doelings today. It's going to be weird to have the barn empty of kids after two months of their sweet antics, nibbles, and bleating. But they brought in some much needed hay money, so they are still a blessing even after they're gone. They went to a new goat owner who looks like she will spoil them rotten, and they didn't go to a pet home (whew). They are out of my best doe, so I really wanted them to go to a milking/breeding home.
Now I just need to get rid of those loud, hungry bucklings-who-will-soon-be-wethers...

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Moved the pigs today onto some winter pasture. Most of our grass has gone dormant, and the sheep are making their last round before I have to feed hay. I decided to run the pigs behind the sheep because I want them to really clean it up so I can plant some grass and clover for spring.

It's been so beautiful outside! Makes you just want to spend all day out there. Here's the view of the pines next to our driveway.

IMG_20231127_132140611.jpg

Anyway, in one pen we have Holly my cull momma who is going in the freezer in a few months, plus three piglets, Hamlet, Posy and Hazel; all destined for the freezer. I have one more freezer piglet, Ginny, but she's quarantined in the barn for suspected lungworms. (And yes, we named all of them. With pigs, it's somehow easier to let them go since we know where they'll end up. Naming the bacon has not been a problem)

IMG_20231127_132251174.jpg

IMG_20231127_132315466.jpg

Then in the other pen is Alfred my registered boar with his girlfriend Clover. She is my keeper sow and will hopefully be bred soon for April piglets. We sorted them today, separating Holly from Clover so Clover can get bred. It was easier than I thought. We blocked Holly in her shelter with some grain, set up all the fences in the new pasture and moved all the others, then moved her. They all follow a bucket, and it's comical to see them run after you with all their might to the new pasture.

IMG_20231127_132222207.jpg

Happy pigs.

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, it's cold outside. Been breaking ice on waters all morning, hauling hot water, turning on heat lamps and keeping the fire going in the stove. Us Texans aren't used to it, 😅. Plus, this is our first big winter storm since we got all our animals. We didn't have any during the big snow 2 years ago. But we still have electricity and water, and none of the animals have frozen, so I think we're doing ok.

IMG_20240114_154730634.jpg

IMG_20240114_153237483.jpg