breeding for fall babies

mistee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
who breeds for fall babies??? I know not all goats are year round breeders but mine are... There are a couple girls that didnt get bred for this winter kidding and I was debating on breeding them for fall babies but I have never bred for fall babies b4.. when is a good time for them to kid? I normally breed my girls in late oct,, early nov.

RainySunday

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No experience, but I am planning to breed 2 of my nigis for fall babies this year. We want year-round milk, so we are going to have to stagger breedings. We will breed on one of the next two cycles, for sept-oct kids.

mistee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i have nigis too and was wondering if we could stagger breeding to get milk most of the year.....

will them being pregnant during the heat of the summer be hard on them?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We used to breed ours to kid out every 9 months, to get 3 kiddings every 2 years. The only time of year I don't recommend trying to kid out is in the heat of the summer( for us that would be July and August). It is really hard on the does, but gestating during the summer didn't seem to be a problem.

mogolady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Glad someone asked this. We too had a few girls that didn't settle and were considering breeding for late Oct./early Nov. We usually spring kid here but hated to miss a year on these girls. We raise Boers so they are year round breeders but I have never noticed signs of them being in heat during warm months. Are they not as obvious then? We have bucks on site so I would think they would tail wag and talk but they don't seem to .

I too didn't want them to kid out in hot summer, as I had a "oops" breed one time, and the kids just didn't seem to nurse as well in the heat and humidity and mom seemed dragged down.

Also, was thinking if they kidded in fall, might not be quite as bad on the parasite fight, as we have wet springs and hot/humid summer. And, market here is usually pretty strong in March which would work out well for 40-50lb. kids.
:clap

mistee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i think i will breed for late sept ,, early oct babies!

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I did this last year with 1 of my NDs and it worked out fine. Bred her in May, she kidded in Oct.