Buck and a female handler( Warning graphic question)

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
IMHO it really has nothing to do with what gender you are...The animals learn who will tollerate their bad behavior. My goats will walk all over my 250+ lb. buff Fire Fighter husband....butt him and trip him. It's hillarious because my 35 lb, 5 year old will walk out there and save him with a firm voice tell them "NO" and they line up like little soldiers.
Good question!! :D

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't think this is THAT funny of a question. Its a proven fact (thanks Ceasar Milan) that dogs react to a womans cycle. Male dogs often become more protective of their female owners during that time of month. Why not goat?

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I, too, will not tolerate a mean buck. I had one buck that would get a pushy (he's no longer here), and my trusty water pistol would keep him in line. He hated the stream of water in his face and would back off and settle down.

crazy4cochins

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ohhh that's a great idea thanks. I have boys so I have lots of options. I think I will keep the super gun by the door. That should also help me with my grumpy gus pygmy he is the worse of the two boys.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hubbys tend to grab the hose for their payback, so I wouldn't try the water pistol of them. JMHO :).

FarmerMack

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
water seems to work best, my goats have all tried to push me around i let them know with my voice that i wont deal with that kind of behavior. they all seem to understand no matter whom they think is herd boss that i am the only herd boss. like the other posters none of my goats are aggressive my 3 yr old angora buck's name is "rasta" goat because he is so laid back he just seems like he's thinking "no problem mun" "whatever". and "whats to eat". he does however like it when i rub his horns with my wedding band. "calm submissive" is what i expect and what i get, or it's down the road for that goat. I did have one i hit with a stick once she was the herd boss before and after i got her but a couple of whacks she understood i was it not her.
I'm the pack leader, the herd boss, and the only rooster on my farm

:lol:

Brandywine

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I keep my dog sidekick nearby when dealing with the goats, and I don't allow any goat to take liberties with my person.

Rosie (the English shepherd bitch) watches my back. The goats respect her a LOT. She moves them where I need them to go, and keeps them back when I have work to do -- like filling their grain bucket. My goats are tame, and that means that they want to be pushy. One thing I notice -- not surprising -- is that they respect me a lot because they see that the dog is obeying me. It's not just that they respect the dog and she keeps them off me. It's more like "Hokey Smokes, she can control that DOG and it listens to her. She must have strong juju!"

I can't imagine keeping hoofstock without having a well-trained stockdog at my side all the time -- I've never done it, and I don't want to try.

But the key, aside from selecting an appropriate dog with the genetic ability to work, is well-trained, and that takes time, effort, and handler ability. And a commitment to meeting the dog's needs, whether they are convenient or not.