Butter

MissPrissy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You need fresh milk. Cow milk will settle a good creamline at the top. Goat milk has to be separated first. Regular milk from the grocery won't work. The cream has already been removed.

Skim the cream off the milk. The butter is better if the cream sits a couple of days in the refrigerator but this is not a requirement. Also almost soured cream yeilds more butter than fresh cream. But ignor all of this for now. LOL

Beat the cream in a covered blender to keep the splashing milk down. The cream will seperate into liquid (buttermilk) and yellow granules (butter). Pour off the liquid (save it!) . Pour a bit of ice cold water over the butter and blend for just a bit more (this washes the butter). Pour off the water and save the butter. Using a spatula press the butter forcing out any liquid caught in the lumps. At this point you can also salt it or leave it unsalted. Store in a tightly covered clean dish in the refrigerator.

Then bake some biscuits and slather them with your fresh home made butter!

Cow milk should yeild some really beautiful cream, Ozark hen. As well as a fairly good amount from a nice fresh gallon. You will enjoy it so much. It is unlike anything commercially produced for the grocery store shelves. Yummy!

I can't remember the yeild of cream to butter but if you save a good bit of cream (1 gallon or more) you'll get over a pound of butter not to mention the great buttermilk for baking!

*You can buy heavy whipping cream and beat it to whipped cream state then keep beating until it breaks and you can get a little butter from it.

mullers3acers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I want to make fresh butter, but don't have the money for an antique butter churn do you have any simple cheap suggestions?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know of people who have used a jar and just shook it. Takes a lot of shaking though.

MissPrissy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You can shake it in a jar or use your mixer like you are making whipped cream and when it reaches whipped cream don't stop. Let the cream break and you will start to see little flecks of butter. Keep going you will succeed. :)

mullers3acers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I was thinking about using a salad spinner what is your thoughts on that?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure a salad spinner would be heavy enough to work when the butter starts forming and gettin thick and heavy.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I read in one book ("the book," by some accounts) that a food processor with the plastic beater - not the metal whisk or blade - works well.

amyquilt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
I know of people who have used a jar and just shook it. Takes a lot of shaking though.
I've always used a glass jar. It takes about 15 minutes of shaking for a pint of cream. (I use a quart jar, and you have to have "shaking room"). I enjoy shaking it, honestly. Pretty fun to watch the cream turn to butter literally in your hands.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had 2/3 of a quart jar of cream.
Butter and Buttermilk
Butterandbuttermilk.jpg

That's a pint jar of buttermilk.

I had some on bread with supper tonight and was it ever good!
yummy.gif

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I use my food processor (kitchen aid, if that matters) 6 cup size with the dough blade (plastic). WORKS WELL!

Latest posts