Cadbury's babies - 2 wk pics 7/2/12- can you give me color dscrpt now?

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok, I have a female New Zealand(sp) and a New Zealand x Dwarf lop cross. They were together for about 10 minutes but nothing seemed to happen between them except the fact she attacked him a few times. I had her for about 5 months before I got him. It has been quite awhile since that 1 time they were together. Today I noticed her pulling out her hair and hauling huge mouthfuls of hay around. I looked in her box and has a huge pile of her hair. Do rabbits sometimes just do this? She is a large rabbit much bigger than the other one, I never thought they bred, so it never occured to me to watch her. She is also in rather a cross mood today. lots of grunting. Could she be pregnant? How long before she has babies if she is would you guess?

Thank you in advance.

ruthless

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They normally give birth after 28-31 days but sometimes go longer. It sounds as if she is getting ready to deliver, showing the signs by making a nest, pulling hair and being a bit grumpy.

However she also could be having a "false" pregnancy and there wont be any babies.

You are just going to have to wait and see at this point.

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Rabbits tend to give birth 31 days after breeding. But you put the nest box in 28 days after breeding so she can make her nest in it, and so it's already there in case the kits come early. Even if she does not kindle on time, don't take the nest box out until at least 35 days after breeding (or longer if you like). In the nest box put lots of hay or straw.

And make sure her cage has baby saver wire on it - that'll stop the kits from falling through the cage floor and sides, and increase the chances that they'll be found and live even if she kindles on the wire instead of the box.

It only takes seconds for rabbits to breed, so she could have been bred without you knowing it. It's also possible that she's having a false pregnancy. As the pp said, you'll have to wait and see.

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do rabbits have any discharge? I thought I noticed something on her fur by the tail area, when I lifted her up today, I did notice she has nipples now, I mean she always did I guess, but they are much longer. She has been going in and out of her box. When she is in her box, she lays in her pile of fur. I kinda poked a bit in the fur, and nothing is there yet.

Also yes the wire is baby friendly, and the box has a bottom.

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I went out this evening to find six pretty good size baby rabbits on the meta wire, 2 were dead(one was just not alive, the other had been mostly eatten). 2 of them I had to put down due to the fact she chewed off the legs and ears from both of them, they were alive however. The last 2 were un harmed as they managed to get themselves cuddled together and in herwhat I assume excitement, flipped a food dish over them and in turn could not get to them, I put them in her box and was hoping maybe she would care for them, however she went after them grunting. She is an outside rabbit and the dog run is near the hutch, I am wondering if she was scared due to the dog(but she always has been around the dog) and decided it wasn't save. She had built a very nice nest, but then failed to use it. Is this common with first time momma rabbits? I have the babies with some hay, her fur and a heating pad in the house now, If I force her, she will allow them to nurse with me holding her still, grunting in the begining, then quieting down, they are warmed up and have full bellies for now. What else can I do?

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also with 6 babies being quite large, should I be expecting more? She had them all within about 2 hours, from me checking on her last. I have been watching for the last 1/2 hour and nothing...

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Six is a decent sized litter, I don't think I would expect more. But I wouldn't be surprised by more, either! As tragic as it is, accidentally eating parts of the babies does happen. The mom tries to clean them off and can't tell the difference between "stuff" and kits. Plus she's freaked out because these things keep coming out of her... even if she started in the nest I bet I'd jump out and run around in circles if I didn't know what was going on, either. It's a wonder first time litters live at all!

If she'll let you hold her in the nestbox for feeding, then that's what I'd continue to do. Twice a day - morning and evening - is plenty. Leaving them in a nestbox full of straw/hay and mom's fur the rest of the time is fine. No heating pad - they'll keep each other warm in the fur just fine. Use cotton balls that are pulled apart and dryer lint if you need more fur than is available.

Just keep them somewhere safe. For instance I have to put mine in a closet and keep the door closed, otherwise the cat would get in and do who-knows-what to them.

And congrats on the two!

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you, for your help. The last 2 past on last night. I am not sure what happened, I was expecting this though. I put her in with the buck this morning and she submitted to his advances right away. This time, I am going to move her to a nice and quite location before she has her babies. I am hoping for better luck this time.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Missy said:
Thank you, for your help. The last 2 past on last night. I am not sure what happened, I was expecting this though. I put her in with the buck this morning and she submitted to his advances right away. This time, I am going to move her to a nice and quite location before she has her babies. I am hoping for better luck this time.
sorry to hear this, hope you have good luck this next time :hugs our doe is due this coming monday and it's her first litter

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I do not think that is unusual for a first litter. She should know better next time. Put you next box in with her 25 days from breeding.