Cadbury's babies - 2 wk pics 7/2/12- can you give me color dscrpt now?

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Missy said:
Here are some pictures of the family.

Mom:(Solid white w/red eyes and pink rims around them)(Is that an Albino? or just a white rabbit?

Cadbury:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj281/missymac_photo/003-10.jpg

Dad: (No idea what color he is. Anyone have a clue?-has white underbelly and dark brown eyes. Suppose to be a NZ x lop mix)

Baloo
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj281/missymac_photo/001-13.jpg

Was not pleased with being on top of the rabbit hutch
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj281/missymac_photo/002-11.jpg

Babies Day 2:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj281/missymac_photo/004-13.jpg
doe is ruby eyed white the buck appears to be a lighter tort (i can't tell variety for sure due to lighting but it may be blue)

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So far it seems the babies will not look at all like either of the parents. lol. The last litter, which did not survive, had solid pink and solid black skinned babies. I guess I will have to wait a bit longer to see what I have.

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So far so good. All babies are still going strong!!!

bunnyperson

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm glad to see they are doing good, and I'm hoping you will post pictures as they develop. I am really curious to see the outcome of this breeding. I'm looking into breeding a New Zealand White with a Blue Rex to see if I can bring some color to the babies.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have a somewhat different situation going on here, as far as the colors. Your buck is solid colored, clearly, he's not a Broken. Some of the babies are Brokens. Broken is a dominant gene, which means it can't "hide" behind other colors. If a rabbit has the the Broken gene, you'll see it - with one exception, and that's the REW. How can you tell if a white rabbit is a broken? Well, you can't, not by looking at her. In this case, you have Broken babies, the buck is obviously a solid, so the Broken gene must have come from the doe. Most REW's aren't carrying a Broken gene, so most of the time, you don't get spotted babies by breeding a white rabbit to a colored rabbit. This time, you did, because this particular REW is carrying a Broken gene.

The buck has Agouti markings, and at least one of the babies appears to have them as well, so I'm betting at least one of the Brokens turns out to be a Broken Chestnut. The solid colored baby I'm still not sure about. It looks like a self in the one picture, possibly a Blue?

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The solid baby does look blue more and more as it ages. The NZ REW momma came from people who had only the parents(both of which looked exactly like her and the rest of the litter looked exactly like her. The male I have no other background except that the the mother was a NZ, and the father was a dwarf lop. I will see if I can find more information.

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have read the rabbits only feed there babies once or twice a day. My doe is in there every couple of hours feeding. Either I catch her coming out of the nesting box, or when I check on her, she is hovering over the babies. The babies half the time are as round as they are long. Is this a problem? Maybe she is only checking on them, but they just seem so round.

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It is not a problem as long as all the kits are being fed. Some rabbits (like people) are just different. Do make sure she isn't using the nestbox for a litterbox, and change the bedding more often if she is.

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here they are at 1 week.

The one on the right is white with black markings and black spots. The one one the bottom is white with black markings and black and brown spots. The last one is ??? Blue???

001-15.jpg

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Still going strong:) :weee

I like how they are all different. They are moving around a bit more and their ears look like they doubled in length. I just can't get over how cute they are.

At what age can you tell sexes? I was checking things out today and to me it doesn't look possible at this point.