Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Little changed around here.
Trying to get ready for Christmas.
Work - up & down but ok.
Cows - Eva gaining weight, Blossom growing up finally.
Cats all good, snuggle season is in full swing.
Birdie is doing well. She has PLAYED with a ball! And dug discarded chew bones from under furniture for a nice long chew. Both new for her here. 😁
I had planned to be at the vet this morning getting a lump on her belly checked out. But, that seems to be nearly impossible. Is this a thing everywhere or just local? There are 10-15 vet hospitals within 30-45min drive. 2 are out of the question.. just don't trust them for good care. All the rest are either closed on Sat, not taking new clients, or "overbooked" & tell me that even if I show up I won't be worked in.
It's not an emergency. A soft, fluid-y, non-connected lump on her belly is slowly growing & I wanted to get it checked out. Jan 6 is the first time I can get an appt unless I want to take a 1/2 day off for a weekday. 🙄

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20230909_124130_Gallery.jpg

Sept-ish
20231118_103132.jpg

Nov-ish

Zero negative change in her behavior/eating/pooping etc. Actually, she seems happier & more active the last few weeks.
Applying diluted mix of Frankincense, helichrysum, lavender, copieba & a couple others that I can't remember until I can get to a vet & get a sample of the fluid tested.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Vets are getting harder and harder to find at least around here. I still use the one over an hour away that I've used for eons.
As for Birdie's lump, (ha - you're like me with the EOs) best guess (and I say guess) is a fatty tumor. Soft and not connected. Kinda looks like one as well. Taken off they usually come back. Such is life - big like that will probably need to be removed.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Problem with fatty tumors is that if you remove them (lots of $$$, blood tests, sedations etc.) the vet will tell you that they often come back. How far away is the friend/rescue that you got Birdie through? If it too far, call her and ask her to get you on with the vet that does their health checks and shots.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Problem with fatty tumors is that if you remove them (lots of $$$, blood tests, sedations etc.) the vet will tell you that they often come back. How far away is the friend/rescue that you got Birdie through? If it too far, call her and ask her to get you on with the vet that does their health checks and shots.
They use 2 different vets. 1 hasn't taken new clients in over a year & the other is one of the ones that told me she would not be seen even if I was sitting in the waiting room because they were booked for the day.
I was pretty happy with my 'little country practice' near the landfill. There is a place about halfway between home & the new job that seems similar. They are usually open on Saturdays.... but the holidays have them off kilter till Jan. I think I'm going to try there.