Canesisters 2024 journal

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's been a while. Not much noteworthy going on in my little world lately.
Work is good. Fully certified on both machines & working 'on my own' now. Had 2 more newbies quit within a few days of each other. I tried thinking back.... I THINK I'm the only new hire that has stayed since I started in March.... !!!!! Weird... it's not really THAT hard. Just takes determination, & the willingness to ignore the things you can't change (it's HOT & the fiber is a bugger to work with). 🤷‍♀️

I took in 6 chickens from a friend. She offered me her whole flock to process & can up. It's been WAY too hot for all that work so I wormed them & tossed them in with my old girls.
Who knows, maybe in the fall I'll have a couple of processing weekends & clean out the whole coop.

Blossom left this morning - heading off to her new career as a beef making mama. She'll spend a couple days in a paddock with another cow. Then it in the pasture with several other youngins. In a few weeks he's bringing his bull over to spend a little time. Loading went better than expected. The only casualty was the flood light on the side of the barn.... smashed it bringing in an extra fence panel to act as a movable 'squeeze' to ease her into the trailer. He brought an extra round bale to drop in the pasture so that Eva could have something to head-but & shove around while she got used to being alone. 🤎
Eva is pacing & calling - naturally. Although I'm not convinced that it's ALL calling for Blossom. I've spent a good bit of the afternoon hanging out with her and anytime I scratch around her tailhead she goes still with her tail raised & off to one side..... so it's likely that the poor thing is mourning her friend WHILE coming into heat. Poor baby.
She's in no state to start any kind of training but I spent half an hour walking around in the paddock with a cup of treats & passively 'training' moving to voice commands: walk on, come around, woah, and back. Maybe I'll actually get her harness trained sometime in the future. lol
Cats are all doing well.
We're still missing Birdie more than I would've imagined.

I pop in now & then to check on what yall are up to. I'll have to start making it a priority.... miss 'hanging out' with yall.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Blossom is off and gone to her new career and Eva is calling for a boyfriend! So someday you will hear the clickety click of tiny little hooves again.

I’m glad your job is going so well. Being happy in what you do for a living is a good thing.

I miss hanging out with you too! I know you miss Birdie, maybe someday you can adopt again. There are so many good dogs that would love to make you happy.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sooo good to hear from you again and that you are doing well and thriving at your new job! 😊
Birdie is forever in your heart. She brought you what you needed when you were down. Another will follow in due time.
The rest of us will remember her as well.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good to see you post. Very glad that Blossom is off your feed bill , and not eating your grass... although maybe you are not as dry as we are... Still....
Hope Eva doesn't get too many "ideas" while she is in heat and decide to go looking for company... I had one in heat this evening when I went up to do the calves, but there is a bull in there... and between him, the steer, and several cows , she is getting ridden all she can stand. Oh well, part of it.

Good to hear that you are fully certified on both machines. Sounds like it has turned out to be a good fit for you, and you obviously "got it".... plus not the office stress or any of the BS you were dealing with...
Amazing that some people just won't stick with a job... but then again... the whole population seems to not put themselves into a job for more than a couple months... It is a different mindset it seems... and even if it is not someone's dream job... a good decent job is certainly better than no job.... but then we were raised up, and grew up, with different ideas about working and such. There are some sort of "inconveniences" in any thing in life... like the heat and the fiber... but it still seems like there are the pluses to offset that... and I am glad for you that you can deal with it and be able to get the most out of the job.
Are you fully on days? Still doing 12 hr shifts?

Don't stay away so long.....

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good to see you post. Very glad that Blossom is off your feed bill , and not eating your grass... although maybe you are not as dry as we are... Still....
Hope Eva doesn't get too many "ideas" while she is in heat and decide to go looking for company... I had one in heat this evening when I went up to do the calves, but there is a bull in there... and between him, the steer, and several cows , she is getting ridden all she can stand. Oh well, part of it.

Good to hear that you are fully certified on both machines. Sounds like it has turned out to be a good fit for you, and you obviously "got it".... plus not the office stress or any of the BS you were dealing with...
Amazing that some people just won't stick with a job... but then again... the whole population seems to not put themselves into a job for more than a couple months... It is a different mindset it seems... and even if it is not someone's dream job... a good decent job is certainly better than no job.... but then we were raised up, and grew up, with different ideas about working and such. There are some sort of "inconveniences" in any thing in life... like the heat and the fiber... but it still seems like there are the pluses to offset that... and I am glad for you that you can deal with it and be able to get the most out of the job.
Are you fully on days? Still doing 12 hr shifts?

Don't stay away so long.....
Yep, 12hr shifts & days. Never more than 3 days at a time, unless I pick up a little overtime, so it's not bad.
July 18 is 4 months so I'll be in position to be considered for a permanent position with all the benefits. That will be a Relief. However, once permanent, the option of being switched to night shift comes up again.
It's fine though. It's not like we work outside. I imagine it 'feels' the same regardless... and it's a lot more relaxed.
One morning we found where they had made a basketball hoop out of cardboard & a ball from bags & rubber bands!
That would NEVER happen on day shift.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just popping this in so I don't lose it.
Blossom in the makeshift chute waiting on her Uber to her new job.
Best calf I've raised here.
20240701_082416.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Blossom is beautiful....she's gonna make a great mom! 😍 He got a good one.

It's good to see you posting again. Last year or so has been full of ups and downs but, you've made it thru and stronger for doing it. We've missed you! !!

You'll get perm status, no doubt in my mind. Plus, with this job you get 3-4 days home 👍👍 it's all an adjustment and you're doing great!