Canesisters 2024 journal

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Day 1 of my new & improved movement agenda was a bust. 🙄 I had planned to get a nap & start on the mowing.....
Instead, I got home about 8am. Checked on Eva, let the chickens out, fed the cats & laid down. Except for a brief snack & potty break around 2, I slept till almost 7!!!!!
Made a little dinner & am now wide awake in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s what happens when you work nights. It really messes with your internal rhythm. You can stay awake sometimes to get some things done, but sleep has to catch up sometimes. Some people do great on it, I’m not one of them.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Day 1 re-do. Haha

Took Dad out for his birthday lunch. Came home stuffed & took a nap. Went out at 5:30 & started mowing along the drive.
7:30, driveway mowed and rain diversion system slightly re-worked. Tested with the hose in the gutter - works better BUT need to clean the gutter!.
20240824_191625.jpg

20240824_191822.jpg

Little funny I would've missed if I hadn't gotten outside.
I let prissy princess Eva into part of the yard while I was mowing. When I was almost done & was up near her she came over & watched me until I stopped. Then she very deliberately reached over the fence & tried to take a comp out of the mock orange tree.
.... we've had enough discussions about that tree that there is a hay string in it for the sole purpose of using a rock to bend it out of her reach. I yelled, clapped my hands, went over and bent it out of her reach. She stood there a moment - eyes huge, ears out at attention, head raised..... then turned around and marched out to the pasture.
"Did you just tell me No??? Who do you think you're talking to! You know what.... I don't even WANT your 'yard grass' you can just mow it yourself.
.... tell me 'no' like she's the boss of me or something.... I'll just go back to my pasture. I don't need this!"
👑🐃

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
God Bless you, because I could not do the night shift like that... I could waitress until 2 a.m., come home and get to sleep long before daylight and sleep until 8 or 9 sometimes... but I preferred to get up and go to work at 4 a.m., and then go to sleep at 9... but the all night thing like that would just not work for me...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s so hard to adjust sleep schedule on days off. I feel for you.

I worked graveyard shift 11to 7 when my son was a toddler. That was ok until hunting season and my ex took a week at the deer camp. I picked up my son after work, went home, made a tray of snacks, sippy cup and closed bedroom door. I put toys in the floor, on the bed and tried to get some sleep. Son played for awhile, then wanted on the bed. I had to wake up enough to pull him on the bed. He played with toys, sat on me, bounced up and down, got off bed, walked around, lifted little arms, saying Unnhh, and I pulled him up on the bed. Rinse, repeat, over and over. By the end of the week I was dying. When I got off Friday morning, I grabbed out already packed suitcase and went to the deer camp. Handed son to ex and told him never again. Went to sleep.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
God Bless you, because I could not do the night shift like that... I could waitress until 2 a.m., come home and get to sleep long before daylight and sleep until 8 or 9 sometimes... but I preferred to get up and go to work at 4 a.m., and then go to sleep at 9... but the all night thing like that would just not work for me...
It's not been working great for me either. Last night I was off but up till 4am. Slept till 9. Will probably nap around 2, then go in at 6 for 2 nights on/ 2 nights off.

Maybe time to start checking the boards at work & watching for other departments with openings..?

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a nice cardio walk this AM in my PJs with wild bed-head hair & flipflops.
Went to let the chickens out & check on Eva. Didn't see her in the pasture at first glance. On the way to check in the stalls I noticed what I was SURE were fresh hoof prints... 🫢😬. Not in the barn. Not in the little woods behind the barn. Not in the far shady corner of the pasture laying down. Not in the last section of the back pasture that I haven't opened up for her yet. Standing out there visually tracing the fence line looking for gaps, breaks or downed sections when I hear a moan & a grunt and Miss Priss gets up from her nap behind the patch of tall shrubby weeds.
😭 Don't DO That to me so 'early' in my morning!