Canesisters 2024 journal

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It really is a big event.....a HUGE farm type yard sale. Parking is a few acres of cut hay fields. :epfull.

I don't think they got the amounts of rain that will be a hazard. Slick in spots but always a tractor to pull you out:lol:.

I'm just hoping no rain that day!!

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
It gets bigger every year
Screenshot_20240918_093810_Facebook.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got this from internet.....a Mennonite canner.

Canned baked beans:
Quart jar.

1 cup dry beans
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp pwdr onion
1 1/2 slice cooked bacon
Water up to 1" headspace...boiling water.

10# for 90 min. (Plus -Takes 30-40 min to get steam)

Stir well before lidding to mix all & release air bubbles Have hot water in canner. It just makes it better to get to steam & pressure with such a canner load. Overall about 2-2.5 hr canner time. Those electric canners, way less time but smaller loads. I have this All American & deal with it 🤣

Soooo.... I use 1/2 c brown sgr. I add a couple spices I like in my usual cooking & a touch of liquid smoke. The bacon bits from store work well. I use great northern beans, navy beans, etc. You can use fresh cut onion.

It's a good amount of time but, overall less expensive than Bush's 😆. Pints? Yeah, half it. I dump the jar into oven dish and bake -- thickens and yummy. Here's before processing & after

IMG_20240406_130303220.jpg

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That sounds like a big event!
When I first started going it was field A and B and a little bit around towards the pullet barn and then to the barns in the back on the "left" in the picture that @canesisters posted. Then they did some around the house in field C... and it has since gone crazy... Used to be all poultry and waterfowl... and some plants in the spring... things like goat milk soap and "animal products", and equipment for livestock..... some old vintage stuff... then sheep and goats and small livestock.....then a few of the new "yard sale type stuff"... then it just got crazy....
He also does a whole bunch other "events".... car shows.... all sorts of other things... Makes alot more money than farming does.

Looks to not be raining... we are showing sun here, but the ground will be wet. I don't know what they have had for rain the last couple days... @Mini Horses is closer to the coast so more likely to know more of what the weather has been over that way.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Canton, Texas has a First Monday sale. Used to be held on First Monday when farmers came to town to sell their produce and purchase for the month. Then as people got jobs, it turned into the weekend before the first Monday of the month. It covers 400 acres. It’s got a little bit of everything.