Castrating Piglets

Royd Wood

Reaction score
jhm47 said:
We just bought a whole boneless pork loin from a supermarket. Cost me $23 and change. Cut off some chops, and tried to fry them. Smelled terrible (like a boar), and we wound up throwing the entire thing away. We live 60 miles from the supermarket, so it wouldn't have paid to return it. And believe me, I know the smell of boar meat, so don't try to tell me that it might have been "old" or something.
Hey jhm - we have so many pigs these days that I decided to not castrate a nice little boar - He is destined for the store at some point as a crossbred but I'm activly looking for a new young Large Black boar so if I dont find the right LB then this guy will be lucky and breed my young gilts. My other boar is too big these days for gilts.
I will be doing a taint test and will have the usual cuts done but I expect to cut and grind the meat again to hot sausage as so many pig folk tell me how bad taint in an active boar is, with one or two saying it wont matter how hot the sausage is they will still taste boar. Some say not everyone can taste it ?????? cant say I ever have so I need to try.
Its going to be a while obviously but will post on here how tainted he was.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The loin that we bought (from a major supermarked chain) looked fine, but as soon as we cut off the plastic wrapper, I could smell the musky taint. As we cut it up into chops, it got stronger, and when we tried to cook it----WHEW! I'm probably more aware of the smell than some others, but my wife could smell it also, it permeated the entire house. Then, I tried to man up and eat some, and gove up that idea after the first bite. Wife thought she'd show me how tough she is, and after one bite the entire loin went into the garbage. End of story. Wish we lived closer to the supermarket, but it wouldn't pay to drive there to get a refund.

Dino

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Taint, is not limited to boars either. Gilts, barrows and sows can have it. It is moe likely to be found in boars but even then, not all boars will have it. Taint can be produced by any pig if kept in poor conditions... stalls not cleaned of waste and becomes mucky etc, undue stress etc. Some lines do not produce taint I've been told. Separating large boars from being able to smell gilts and sows for 30 days lowers taint considerably... some say it is taint free. It comes down to stress or excitement I believe... release of hormones etc.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also think that castrating any animal or tail docking without injected pain meds/numbing is cruel. Just because they recover/stop squealing fast, does not mean it's proper. Maybe I'll be able to find something to numb them first...idk...
I'm hoping to butcher my PBs 7mo or before, keep a couple for dinner and sell the rest when they are still cute.

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh this is a VERY hot topic & you will not find many that can agree on any one way. As for them not castrating in Europe, yes you are right but you are telling the full story. In Europe they have brought in "castration via innoculation!" This is powerful stuff - the boars are injected & I can't remember how many times but guess what?! That passes through into the meat (Oh they won't admit to that of course) & can cause sterility in men. The injection is very potent & great care has to be taken in using it because if you accidentally inject yourself watch out!

There are always two sides to every story!

As for taint, yes chances are once the boars are mature they will have taint. Some breeds do NOT have taint & some breeders have bred taint out of their breeders so it can be done. Some folks think that boar meat is the best thing since sliced bread. IMO they are welcome to it - I have eaten it & have no desire to eat it again. Some folks cannot smell or taste taint so if you are one of those then you will be lucky.

Yes it is difficult to find a processor who will take males of pigs/sheep etc. They just will not process it.

I think if you butcher at around 150 to 200#'s you will be OK as the taint is normally in the fat & at that size they do not have much fat on them.

Virgin boars can be kept together as long as there are no girls around - i.e. make sure your fences are HOT & tight.

Liz

Latest posts