Caught a rabbit today

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's was hilarious AZ!!

The kids and I had a grand chase around the yard today and...we got him back!

I must say, he looks super-annoyed!

Now I've just got to find a quiet minute to call animal control and find out if anyone has reported a missing rabbit...

Stones_Chickens

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
LOL, I recently came by seven strays, I caught six of them and one was taken out by a car. I'd wait to eat him in the event it is sick or on a medication. It's a pretty bunny though, you could always try to rehome it.

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Looks sort of like a Thrianta...or maybe a light NZR...how big is he?

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hmmm... I may need to borrow a buck from someone to get my does some experience. Think Hazel would like the job? He sounds smart enough to figure out how to do the deed!

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
oneacre: Hazel weighed in at a little over 6 pounds and I think he is an adult. For some reason I keep thinking "Rex" when I see him...but I'm still a newbie with the rabbits so I'm not exactly sure on the breed-guessing.

Diane: I did a bad thing and let him in with a doe (one that I was wishy-washy about keeping) before quarantining him for very long (how long DO they need to be quarantined??) and he got right after it with a fall-over and all! So he definitely knows what he's doing!

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Genipher said:
Diane: I did a bad thing and let him in with a doe (one that I was wishy-washy about keeping) before quarantining him for very long (how long DO they need to be quarantined??) and he got right after it with a fall-over and all! So he definitely knows what he's doing!
Meh. If you weren't sure if you were going to keep that doe anyway, then even if Hazel were sick you wouldn't have lost much. Either she gets sick or she doesn't. Not like you let him in with your best breeding pair or anything like that. I would think by the time that doe delivers you'll easily be able to tell if she's caught something or not.

Personally, I like 30 day quarantining. Then putting in with another animal I'm OK losing, then another week or two or quarantine alongside (or in with) the other animal. The first quarantine should show up anything really nasty the new rabbit has, the second part will let the other rabbit catch and develop anything contagious that the first one has developed immunity to - like sniffles or the like.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
DianeS said:
Genipher said:
Meh. If you weren't sure if you were going to keep that doe anyway, then even if Hazel were sick you wouldn't have lost much. Either she gets sick or she doesn't. Not like you let him in with your best breeding pair or anything like that. I would think by the time that doe delivers you'll easily be able to tell if she's caught something or not.

Personally, I like 30 day quarantining. Then putting in with another animal I'm OK losing, then another week or two or quarantine alongside (or in with) the other animal. The first quarantine should show up anything really nasty the new rabbit has, the second part will let the other rabbit catch and develop anything contagious that the first one has developed immunity to - like sniffles or the like.
I feel bad for the OK rabbit. But I guess you got to start somewhere introducing your new rabbit to your herd.

K

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
I feel bad for the OK rabbit. But I guess you got to start somewhere introducing your new rabbit to your herd.

K
Exactly - gotta start somewhere. And I'd rather feel sad for one rabbit getting sick than the whole herd getting sick.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
DianeS said:
Ms. Research said:

K
Exactly - gotta start somewhere. And I'd rather feel sad for one rabbit getting sick than the whole herd getting sick.
Again so true.

K

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
And now that I have a better idea at how long to quarantine I'll do better at "introductions" and whatnot.