Cavy question?? New one!

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The rescue that we are going to rescue from says that on top of the guinea pig food and veggies/fruit, we still need to give the girls vitamin C. I have read in books and on line that you don't need to. So do we or don't we? Please if you know or know someone, please help. We don't have them yes, but as of the 15th we will. I want to have everything that we need.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to get a vitamin supplement for them if you feed plenty of veggies. Red/yellow/green bell peppers, cantaloupe, and oranges are all high in vitamin C.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
purplequeenvt said:
You shouldn't need to get a vitamin supplement for them if you feed plenty of veggies. Red/yellow/green bell peppers, cantaloupe, and oranges are all high in vitamin C.
Wow, thank you so much for all the veggies/fruit that has vitamin C. I was hoping to find people on here that have/had guinea pigs, but it doesn't seem to that there are a lot on here. Do you or does any one know a good forum that I could go to?

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Kale is another high in vitamin c veggie for cavies. I know when we had our guinea pigs they loved kale. I think any of the dark leafy greens are high in vutamin c though. I know when we had our guinea pigs I had sites that had the veggie adn fruit lists for them and the breakdown of the vitamin and nutrient content on them. I may have to find them again so I can share them with you.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
Kale is another high in vitamin c veggie for cavies. I know when we had our guinea pigs they loved kale. I think any of the dark leafy greens are high in vutamin c though. I know when we had our guinea pigs I had sites that had the veggie adn fruit lists for them and the breakdown of the vitamin and nutrient content on them. I may have to find them again so I can share them with you.
Thank you, if it's not too much of a pain, I would love the break down. If it is a pain, please don't worry about it. I have looked up on the internet about a lot of thing's, but I have yet to find one like that. Thanks again.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
Roll Farms has a cavy you might want to get in touch with her she is on here too.
here is her website http://www.rollfarms.com/
hope that helps
good luck
Wonderful, thank you! I love being on this forum, everyone is so nice and helpful.

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
fortheloveofgoats said:
autumnprairie said:
Roll Farms has a cavy you might want to get in touch with her she is on here too.
hope that helps
good luck
Wonderful, thank you! I love being on this forum, everyone is so nice and helpful.
You are most welcome, I have learned so much on this site and made some really good contacts.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
fortheloveofgoats said:
autumnprairie said:
hope that helps
good luck
You are most welcome, I have learned so much on this site and made some really good contacts.
I sent her an email, so I will see if she has any information for me. Thanks again:D

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Are you talking guinea pig cavy or Patagonian cavy, aka Mara - which is a 20# relative ?

I always gave my guinea pigs the g. pig vitamins you can buy at the pet stores.

"They" say you don't need to, but....I figured it wouldn't hurt. I used 1/2 the recommended dosage.

I don't put it in my Patagonian cavy's water, b/c he's a finicky drinker. I squirt a couple drops on his food 1x a week.

Enjoy them, guinea pigs are a lot of fun.