Cavy question?? New one!

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
peemee said:
Hi, I am a veterinarian and work with all the exotic mammals. The cavies do have a high need for vit C. Oxbow has a great pelleted version. I like it better than the liquid vit c in the water. It only works well if you use filtered water and doesn't have high calcium in it. Banana and I think cabbage have higher C than orange. Also if you get guinea pig pellets check the manufactor date. If it is within 3 months the vit c should be okay. Just remember that Vit C breaks down in UV lite. Hope this helps you.

Also I saw the post about the celery and can't find it again but... Celery is kind of like crunchy water. I haven't seen any cause intestinal bunching but I don't recommend it for them. They do need lots of stuff to chew to keep teeth in good shape.

Thanks for letting me chime in. Happy Holidays from Payson, AZ
:welcome :celebrate Thank you so very much. I really appreciate this! Do you know of toys that I could make for them? If you think of anything else, PLEASE let me know. I love information. It helps me out a lot. Happy Holidays to you as we. From Billy Jo Oregon

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with either giving only half the vitamin C dose, or none at all and using veggies for that. My daughter had one and the pet store sold us the vitamin C as a must...gave that poor little thing the terrible runs and his being a baby, could have dehydrated quickly had we not used an eye dropper to regularly give him water through his ordeal. These are adorable little animals and they would squeal to call us and when petting them, they made the sweetest "chortle" sound:))) We did not have good luck, and after three separate funerals I called it quits...could not do another one. Learned the hard way that these little animals need to be kept cool in hot weather, never buy the sickly runt (because no one else will), and always know exactly where they are when loose in the house (I fashioned little paper towel diapers for them), as a door closing on a little one is not a good thing. Hope our experience helps you avoid tiny funerals!

Good luck and enjoy these wonderful little animals!!! Can't wait for your photos:)

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They are very adorable, and so far so good with the girls. Yeah, we have done a lot of research. The two thing's that kept on being in big letters, was vit c and keeping them cool in hot weather. Thank you so much for responding, I greatly appreciate it. I have pictures up on my journal. Look under journal and you will finr fortheloveofgoats journal. Thank you again. I like the diaper idea, I was peed on twice. :lol: Yeah, we blocked them in the kitchen.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
fortheloveofgoats said:
They are very adorable, and so far so good with the girls. Yeah, we have done a lot of research. The two thing's that kept on being in big letters, was vit c and keeping them cool in hot weather. Thank you so much for responding, I greatly appreciate it. I have pictures up on my journal. Look under journal and you will finr fortheloveofgoats journal. Thank you again. I like the diaper idea, I was peed on twice. :lol: Yeah, we blocked them in the kitchen.
Your girls sound like my boys. Don't know about Cavys but Rabbits will urinate on you to show that they own you. It's a dominance thing. Called Marking. Been marked, believe me. Also my carpets as well. Don't know about diapers, but I've just limited their area of running, like you did and put their litter box out for them.

Once they settle, I think the peeing on you will stop.

K

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
fortheloveofgoats said:
Your girls sound like my boys. Don't know about Cavys but Rabbits will urinate on you to show that they own you. It's a dominance thing. Called Marking. Been marked, believe me. Also my carpets as well. Don't know about diapers, but I've just limited their area of running, like you did and put their litter box out for them.

K
:celebrate I can only hope it stops. I was really surprised, it didn't really have a whole lot of smell to it. I was happy that it didn't, but surprised. To be honest I haven't read anything about them peeing on owners, but hey I don't expect everything to be in a book. :lol:

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
fortheloveofgoats said:
Ms. Research said:
fortheloveofgoats said:

K
:celebrate I can only hope it stops. I was really surprised, it didn't really have a whole lot of smell to it. I was happy that it didn't, but surprised. To be honest I haven't read anything about them peeing on owners, but hey I don't expect everything to be in a book. :lol:
Believe me, I was glad I read up on rabbits before I got them. Kreacher with his "head tilt" and "spins" 24 hrs after getting him, is my perfect example of research before you buy. Knew exactly what it was and got it taken care of. But "experience" is the best teacher. I just use books as a guide. But my boys have taught me tons so far.

K

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Amen to that! It was funny, I went into the pet store to buy a water bottle for the girls, and they asked me if I have ever had a guinea pig before. I said no. The cashier so oh well do you have questions, do you need to do your research first? I chuckeld and said, I have bought three books from here, looked up and saved internet sites, and have talked to people on CL and other forums. She said oh well I am sure you could do more. What a judgmental person. I don't understand. Did she want me to go get the books and show her? Did she want me to show her the websites? I just don't understand some people. I know that there are people out there that just buy on the whim, but I am NOT one of them! I believe in doing ALL the research you can before you buy an animal. It's even better to talk to people that have owned them and do know the dos and don'ts. I can't wait to be one of the people that have experience and can help with questions.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
fortheloveofgoats said:
Amen to that! It was funny, I went into the pet store to buy a water bottle for the girls, and they asked me if I have ever had a guinea pig before. I said no. The cashier so oh well do you have questions, do you need to do your research first? I chuckeld and said, I have bought three books from here, looked up and saved internet sites, and have talked to people on CL and other forums. She said oh well I am sure you could do more. What a judgmental person. I don't understand. Did she want me to go get the books and show her? Did she want me to show her the websites? I just don't understand some people. I know that there are people out there that just buy on the whim, but I am NOT one of them! I believe in doing ALL the research you can before you buy an animal. It's even better to talk to people that have owned them and do know the dos and don'ts. I can't wait to be one of the people that have experience and can help with questions.
I just smile and ignore people like that. Don't care what they think.

You will be helping in no time, IMHO. Your girls will help you on that way. I know my boys have had such positive effects for me and my DH. And Jake too.

Enjoy and I look forward to reading your journals and your posts. Though I doubt I'll have guinea pigs because DH is really hooked on rabbits, I would like to learn about them. They are definitely a good pet for children and adults.

K

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I need to learn to do that. I am just a very sensitive person, and want people to believe me. I can't wait to start helping people with guinea pigs and their care. Thank you, I really appreciate hearing that people don't mind me talking about the girls. Yes guinea pigs are great for kids and adults. Bummer about DH not wanting them. Totally understand though, rabbits are great too! :D

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
fortheloveofgoats said:
I need to learn to do that. I am just a very sensitive person, and want people to believe me. I can't wait to start helping people with guinea pigs and their care. Thank you, I really appreciate hearing that people don't mind me talking about the girls. Yes guinea pigs are great for kids and adults. Bummer about DH not wanting them. Totally understand though, rabbits are great too! :D
What's funny is DH doesn't want guinea pigs because he thinks their noisy. Wait till he gets his Nubian Goat he wants. I'll just smile. I actually like a animal that's a bit vocal. But that's just me.

K