Chickens + Goats?

stitchcounting

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was visiting colleges upstate this week and I saw this house that had 3Nubians with a small flock or plymouths and some red breed of chickens.
Is that save?
Just wondering not like i have a yard for goats or hens....:/

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
8192_sunday_3-3-13_002.jpg

These guys are BFF's

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We keep out chickens out with the goats. I did have one young cochin get trampled but other than that, they are totally cool with each other :)

DSC05952.jpg

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We've always had chickens in with our goats and sheep. They get along just fine.

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our vet told us it's good animal management putting different types of animals together, because most animals don't share the same types of parasites, but the majority of parasites are specific to the types of animals. He said putting chickens and goats together benefits both. I found that the chickens break down the nanny berries racking through them every day and your manure will be less of a problem because of it. A win-win situation all around and chickens will be pretty good company for goats too. They don't seem to mind each other's company at all, except that our chickens are a little skittish when the goat gets too close, but that's not a big deal.

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have had two goats in with the chickens for the past few months and they have been getting along great....as long as you have the chicken door small enough to keep out the goats, 'cause the goats LOVE chicken feed.

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
woodsie said:
I have had two goats in with the chickens for the past few months and they have been getting along great....as long as you have the chicken door small enough to keep out the goats, 'cause the goats LOVE chicken feed.
Can't say this enough! I had been fighting with my goats to keep them out of the coop. I finally have it down to a 5x7 inch square hole. I also put a rail tie about 6 inches in front of the hole so the goats can't get the angle and wiggle under. The human door is 2x6 boards and no climb fencing with a high latch so the goats can't reach. FINALLY I WON! LOL

doubleatraining

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm putting up my goat fencing this week and plan on putting smaller than needed holes so I can put my teenager free range chickens out with the goats. I'm going to put the teenager coop on top of the goat "hut".

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
PendergrassRanch said:
woodsie said:
Can't say this enough! I had been fighting with my goats to keep them out of the coop. I finally have it down to a 5x7 inch square hole. I also put a rail tie about 6 inches in front of the hole so the goats can't get the angle and wiggle under. The human door is 2x6 boards and no climb fencing with a high latch so the goats can't reach. FINALLY I WON! LOL
I put an extra row of stock panel around the coop and then put hot wire on it. The big goats wouldn't go through just the stock panel but the kids did and that is when the hot wire got installed.