Christmas for new goat owners

bigmike

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
I'm thinking more sinister thoughts bigmike! Ya don't think you might be spending too much time with the goats and she's jealous do ya?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't think so.She really seems to be supportive and glad that I have found something to do other than stare at the idiot box..She's glad that I have come up out of my 3 year funk I have been in due to depression and PTSD issues.it seems that the VA has finally gotten my medication right.She even wants to go out with me to the goats sometimes...Mike

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
bigmike said:
Southern by choice said:
I'm thinking more sinister thoughts bigmike! Ya don't think you might be spending too much time with the goats and she's jealous do ya?

Don't think so.She really seems to be supportive and glad that I have found something to do other than stare at the idiot box..She's glad that I have come up out of my 3 year funk I have been in due to depression and PTSD issues.it seems that the VA has finally gotten my medication right.She even wants to go out with me to the goats sometimes...Mike
I was just joking Mike, sorry if it was taken the wrong way.
:hugs for all the steps you have had to take to overcome! I have an understanding of both depression and PTSD. I am glad you have received the help you needed. Sadly many don't, and many just scoff at depression and PTSD. Neither is something you just "snap out of".

Mentioning the VA, I take it you have served your country. A very humble Thank You!

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
bigmike said:
Catahoula said:
bigmike said:
I asked for a milker since I hopefully will have milk in the Spring.With arthritic hand issues I don't think I will be doing much milking by hand..DW asked for a chainsaw (don't ask me) so I am getting her an electric chainsaw..Hopefully I will get a hand milker..More goats would work too..................Mike
Get her a real gas chainsaw...electric doesn't as much power. :D
Catahoula,an electric is more than she needs.I don't really know what she wants it for.We only have 3 real trees on the place since we are on the edge of the great plains..Do have some small mesquite trees about as big around as my wrist but they are in the unused pasture that she never ever goes to.Maybe she wants it for the large and expanding nonfruiting pomegranite clump in the front yard...I am really concerned about her hurting herself..
LOL, you should ask her why she wants a chainsaw! Maybe this is all she'll need...

https://www.worx.com/en-US/WORX-JawSaw-WG307.aspx?gclid=CKzN5-eI8LMCFelDMgodLCAA9A :)

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I decided to start making my own goat milk soap and goat milk lotion. Yesterday I went online and got most of my ingredients and today equipment for cooking.... I still have a few more ingredients to get...including.... :hide ....goat milk (possible supermarket goat milk).... :hu I don't have a milking goat yet and I can't decide if I want to breed Anabel. :barnie
She is an Alpine but only about 8 months old...still too small and young. If I ended up breeding her, she'll give me way more than I'll ever need. I only need a few gallons.
Anyway, I am excited about making soap and lotion. DH really likes the goat milk soap I bought.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
2goats8kids said:
I have one thing on my list: a milking stand :D

But I'm hedging my bets and ordered some nummy mud boots at a great Black Friday price ;)

The goats themselves were my big Five-Oh birthday gift! My husband thought I was insane!
I could certainly use a milk stand or just a head gate to use for hoof trimming and shots. But then I'm interested in the microscope too to run my own fecals. I did tell DH about the microscope idea and he just rolled his eyes at me!

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
lovinglife said:
my husband is already looking at stands so he can get mine started. He is pretty understanding, of course he is gone 3/4th of the time and I get to do everything, but thats ok with me, keeps me out of trouble....I think some nice mud boots should be on my list as well!;)
I used the plans from Fiasco Farm. They were excellent. Very easy to use. http://fiascofarm.com/goats/milkstand.html

BarredRockMomma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
bigmike said:
Southern by choice said:

It is wonderful to know that I am not the only vet to use goats as part of mental health thearpy.

bigmike

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Southern, it was not taken the wrong way,I find it hilarious that a woman raised in Germany and has never used a chainsaw or just about any outdoor power equipment would want one but she does.This is a woman that loves the 114 degree days here in Northern Texas and loves to mow the grass.She was recently helping my daughter with a project for Ag and was sawing a stump from a tree we had cut down that we used as an extra seat on the porch.She was sawing it with a hand saw and this is when she decided she needed a chain saw.Still says that is what she wants..I offered a new set of rings (we have cheapie wedding set) but she said no...It will not be the only thing I get her...Also thank you for appreciating us..

Catahoula...She is adament about the chain saw.I just hope she doesn't cut off her foot..

BarredrockMama....I had wanted goats for several years but spent most of the last 3 years in a bad place.Once I finally that realized PTSD was part of the problem (I denied it for years) I pushed the VA.Finally recieved a rating a couple of years ago for it.But it took a while to get my meds right.About 4 months we made some changes and overnight I felt better, have more energy and am starting on my road toward self sufficiency and finally actually chasing some dreams..Plus the Va check is helping me to fund this..Has been a struggle but improving and still able to work..Would rather farm and hope to get there in a few years.....Also the goats are such intelligent loving animals..Great Therapy animals.Gives me something to do other than watch the crud on TV...............Thanks for your service

All be well and hope you get what you want..................Mike

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Mike, be sure to get her protective gears like hard hat, glasses, gloves and especially chainsaw chaps. We live in the mountains and have tons of trees. In the summer, a group of us get together and volunteer cutting trees for fire mitigation. The chaps save legs!! We had a couple incidents where the saw 'accidentally' glide on the leg and the chaps' fiberglass jammed the saw so it stopped. Something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-531...id=1354062372&sr=8-1&keywords=chain+saw+chaps