CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am right handed but shoot left handed. Always wanted a left handed rifle.....
I know where there's a lefty .340 mag Weatherby with a nice scope going to be available pretty quick...Be careful what ya wish for tho..It's a handful even with a muzzle brake. A true flat shootin, window rattlin, hole blower out to 300+ yards easy. About 40lbs of recoil, but my sis-in-law handles it fine.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
^ Nice! I've never owned a lefty rifle. My hunting rifle is a plain bolt action. I've learned to "overcome and adapt" - i.e. reach over to work the bolt while supporting with my right hand in my left shoulder. It's awkward looking I'm told, but works fine for me.
My other rifles are pretty ambi - Mossberg shotgun, a lever action 22, and an AR15. The only thing that doesn't function as well on the AR is the safety switch being on the wrong side, and the fact it shoots hot brass directly down my shirt.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all soldiers going through basic training trained on weaponry as right-handed for universality?

No they are not. The M16/M4 (AR15 is the same thing only a civilian model which will usually have a different barrel twist 1:9 instead of military 1:7 and will not have a selector switch) are mostly ambidextrous.
DH is a lefty shooter as well and qualifies left handed with his M4. He is not left handed and shoots a pistol right handed though.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
@greybeard You mean like this: View attachment 40674

Got one, with flashlight and red dot, or just red dot, or just flashlight.

Problem is, needs to be sighted in, and hard to sight it in accurately when I'm having hand problems with the one I need to use to sight it in right lol. It's off maybe 1/8th of an inch to the left from the regular sights.

That one is interchangeable to my AR15, and ambidextrous. That's a Glock 30SF.
With a laser dot, whether rifle or sidearm, I sight it in with the weapon firmly in a fixture. That takes 'me' out of the equation. Once adjusted, unless I bang it around a lot, it don't matter if I'm holding it right handed, lefty, or even with my feet...right side up, sideways gangbanger style, eye level or from the hip...where the dot is..is where the bullet impacts.
Great for night work...like getting rid of aquatic rodents.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I should have thought about that grey, I have a pistol rest just for that, I've never used it lol. I also don't have a bench but that's easily remedied.

In daylight hours, I think I start to lose the laser around 50 feet or so Fred. At night, it's way more visible. I like having a flashlight right on my pistol, it saves me from hauling around a flashlight and a gun when I go to put creatures up in the evening, since it's dark by like 5:30 now. Plus it's super bright, it takes 2 "Surefire" batteries.

Any gun that has a rail system you can attach them to. I was pretty surprised that my glock took it so easily, the rail on it doesn't look like it would support that type of locking on; made more for the AR with a ridged rail instead of smooth. However, it slipped right on and locked so I was very pleased.