Coffee anyone ?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good temps here. Things are clean & growing from a lovely Sunday rain. Worked yesterday & will do jobs today, half day thing. Then home for a few. With systems moving in from West & from South -- weather people just say "expect something sat- Thu". :lol: hey, I could predict that without them!

I've got 3 hens setting right now :eek: what's that about? Usually that's over with...:idunno it does cut eggs being laid but, since I gave away 7 dz last week, it's ok! Obviously I don't need them.

Better get outside and check things.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The 'Giant Yellow Mug' of coffee is emptied. It's a lovely cool morning out. Time to go string a temp fence line up & let Eva help me with the mowing. She can do one side of the driveway while I do the other & the yard.
:lol:

I hear "giant yellow" and I think pee

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alaskan or anyone else, I need a description of cool weather. Heck a frost would be nearly indecent. I woke up at about 6:30 today. Temp 84, humidity about the same. Two hours later after feeds I find…her. Her has chosen the stuffiest part of the barn to expire of what looks like the consumption of a couple of beach balls. The body is making ominous balloon fart noises. You know if Santa brought me a hazmat suit for Christmas… well I went to the house, donned what protective clothing I could and returned to take care of business. 91 degrees. The wagon had a flat tire, and I don’t want Her in her volatile state wobbling around on the 2wheeled dolly (named dolly “Hello”). So I tobogganed her down the driveway in a half barrel. We arrived more or less at the same time at a suitable spot then I trudged up the hill, sweating furiously. I ice packed my knee and my head, drank a half gallon of ice water and declared myself a survivor. Within an hour the undertakers (turkey vultures) had consumed everything except large bones, a bit of hide and some, well, ick. 100 degrees at that point. People sometimes gush when I tell them I have sheep. “Oh they’re so cute,” “Oh I wish I could have animals” - Today I grumbled and swore but then I laughed (thankful there was no gut ka-boom) and thought it’s pretty cool to be a shepherd even when it’s hot.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Awake at 3....again! What's up with this 3am body alarm ? :idunno didn't go to bed early. Whatever. I'm up. Had hot tea & half a PB&J. Half listening to news & doing :caf. Listing things coming up in my mind that I need to do/handle....5 days home. Maybe that's why I woke, didn't write stuff down last night. 🤔😖

Daylight just starting. Temp is 63 out, so jeans & long sleeves to start. It'll be upper 80s later, so I'll be losing the sleeves before long! Roos are crowing repeatedly :D =D telling me to get going on this list. I'll toss some feed to shut them up!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m up early this morning. Been waking up at odd hours, carving out 2-3 hours of wide awake, then sleeping late.

@Skiesblue i had to laugh at your description of disposing of the heat puffed body. Genius idea on moving it without it exploding! I’ve dumped quite a few lambs lately, but I use a tractor bucket. I call it feeding the bobcat. The bobcat is appreciative, I seldom find any trace so I guess the bobcat carries the lamb away. The heat sorta pre-cooks the meat, maybe more tender for varmits epicurean tastes? Hahaha! Gotta laugh!

I can commiserate with you on the heat. It’s awful, morning chores plus anything else and I come in soaking wet and drained of all energy. Rinse repeat in the evening. We just gotta make it through July, August and first few weeks of September. Hand in there and if you have an upright freezer, go open the door and stand in front of it!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We sleep a few hrs, up a few....outside work a few, back to nap a few in heat of day :lol: :idunno what a life!

Fed, topped waterers, counted noses. Too wet with dew to work much yet. Jeans wet 6-8" up leg 🥴 I've seen less wet after a rain.
Get you some knee high rubber boots! I have to pay about $100 for the “good” ones and they last about a year. Those short ladies rubber boots with cutesy prints in them last me a couple hours before I utterly destroy them.

Latest posts