Coffee anyone ?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sunday morning! Coffee is ready. I unloaded the dishwasher while coffee was making, and put away the meat grinder. I had to patch up the original box the meat grinder was in. After some 42 years I guess the box is entitled to a little repair. Church, then I package and vacuum seal the pan sausage I was too tired to do yesterday evening.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spinning around off the coast is a disturbance that is probably going to bring me 1.5-2.5" of rain 😑🥴 on Mon late day into Tues. It'll be a crappy mess, windy, too. Seems the system wants to be a "tropical storm" for VA/NC. Wasn't invited to visit. 😳

Guess I'll check things outside in case anything needs to be moved, covered, weighted, etc. crap.

Most goats moved to another field a couple days ago. A few didn't, so I've been enjoying having just a few to handle and enjoy in that area -- like before I increased the herd. I'm liking it!! It makes me think -- do I really need so many? Couldn't I just cut more grass? Hmm. Temptations. :old less hay, less feed, less work time.....🤔 Sounding good.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spinning around off the coast is a disturbance that is probably going to bring me 1.5-2.5" of rain 😑🥴 on Mon late day into Tues. It'll be a crappy mess, windy, too. Seems the system wants to be a "tropical storm" for VA/NC. Wasn't invited to visit. 😳

Guess I'll check things outside in case anything needs to be moved, covered, weighted, etc. crap.

Most goats moved to another field a couple days ago. A few didn't, so I've been enjoying having just a few to handle and enjoy in that area -- like before I increased the herd. I'm liking it!! It makes me think -- do I really need so many? Couldn't I just cut more grass? Hmm. Temptations. :old less hay, less feed, less work time.....🤔 Sounding good.
Less money at the sale time..... More work time on the tractor....
Any neighbors that want to raise a beef? Pasture in exchange for some beef in the freezer???? Just wish we were closer together... could use the grass in an exchange of some sort...

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually I've considered that but few around who are even interested in any of it. 🤷 I'm not in rural enough area. These people are just moving suburbs further out....similar to those you spoke with while raking sons lot.

Just put 1/2 gal fresh milk into freezer to fast chill. First time I've milked this yr & I've missed the milk + time doing 😕 BUT her kids were nursing up until yesterday...so still in good production. 🥰 I'll keep her milking and check preg status in next couple days. Then I can decide when to dry her off. Until then, fresh milk & more cheese. :drool. Might add 2 more to the routine. I have a customer who will buy it. $8 gal pays for some feed.

Oh, found tomato & melon plants growing from where I feed scraps to chickens 🤣 May container a tomato plant & greenhouse it for winter. 🤣

I'm having a nice home day, so far. :old

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready. I need to worm a couple of ewes this morning. That means running them all through the chute. They are in the front field, across driveway from chute. So I have a roll end of wire that I roll out from gate to the gate to their night one, open both 16’ gates from front field to the pen in the middle field. Then I put feed in the chute and open their pen gate. They run for the feed. I work them through the chute, sort into a small holding pen. When finished I put feed in their pen and open the chute gate. They run back across the driveway, I close the 16’ gate to the front field, roll up the wire blocking access to the field and I’m done. Lot of extra work, but it works.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule Adds a new meaning to a "working pen" 😁. But it's a system and they respect it. Ahhhh, feed training! We do what we gotta do. I have some portable panels,too.

Gosh the year always seems to have gone fast, when it's almost done 🙃 and here we are...Fall approaching. Tonight & tomorrow, wind and rain. Lots of rain, they say. Things are covered and contained as needed. Got that done yesterday. A little fence patching -- yep, that old stretch I need to refence! Home most all next week. Maybe then, everything here to do. Fall project for other sections.

Today I'll mosey around & might clean some inside.🥴 Weather, ya know. Slept poorly -- maybe a nap after lunch :old

ETA ... @Alaskan big NO to geese. Sheep, I've considered but coming from horse world, can't handle wooly 😵‍💫 I'd have to go with katahdin & not wanting to deal with another "nutrition" lesson or ram issues. They are easier on fences!! But actually there's only a few in my goat herd that are really escape prone. They could be sold!!! PLUS I love the Saanen milk.

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
But.... geese are so super cute!!!

20240903_150623.jpg
20240816_111640.jpg
20240714_135532.jpg

Latest posts