Colorado

ttclan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have friends in the mountains above 8,500 feet. They have Alpine and Nubians and they have done just fine. I am just learning about goats, but Alpines in particular where breed in cold climates.

Welcome to CO!

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
ttclan said:
We have friends in the mountains above 8,500 feet. They have Alpine and Nubians and they have done just fine. I am just learning about goats, but Alpines in particular where breed in cold climates.

Welcome to CO!
Thanks. We are at 8150 feet not too far from Netherland. I am interested in couple Boers. We still need to fence off the property. Hopefully by next Spring, we'll have couple new pets. It is encouraging to see pictures of goats in snow from this forum. Did you get your kids in December? Please let me know how your goat experience goes.

ttclan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for asking. We are up outside of Estes...maybe I said that. One gal has been born - a little late - Jan 5th. Twins are due soon. We will get our choice of 2 of them at about 3 months old. We needed the time anyway.

We've been winterizing a cabin up here to live in, so it's been slower going on the animals than I had hoped, but people need to be taken care of first. We still need to get a small goat barn and fencing in. So it's a good thing that the breeders want to get them good and ready for us.

A Chicken coop, a newer larger one, comes before the goat barn, since I have new chicks arriving in a couple of weeks.

Many people here have goats, so I'm sure that they will do fine, whatever the breed.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sounds like you'll be busy. I have some ideas on the type of fencing and I hope it is not going to be too expensive on 4+ acres. While I like to have a designated area for the goats, I also want to fence off most of the property. I plan to let the goats roam for weed control and keep my dog in too. I like the idea of having chickens, veggie gardens and fruit trees and be more self sufficient. However, I don't want to be tied down with taking care of the 'farm'... :p We don't live far from each other and our climates probably very similar. May I PM you sometimes to see your progress and to learn more from you?
PS, I notice you have a rottie. I love rotties and had three before.

ttclan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
PMing would be just fine, you are right, we aren't far from each other. This group is much quieter than the backyard chickens Colorado thread, but it's always great to connect with locals about anything homesteading.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How is everyone doing with their livestock with this snow we have this past storm....It is still snowing. We have gotten from 2.5 feet to 3+ feet all around our property. I think where I want to keep my goats have over 3 feet. Yes, the goats will have shelter but how will they get out? I barely got out to get the newspaper myself and had to leave the dog back in the house.

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, the goats will have shelter but how will they get out?
We got about 2 feet here; my goats are poking their heads out the door but aren't coming outside yet. This is when they need enough inside space to be content and not fighting with each other.

The sun is shining and it's a beautiful Colorado day!!

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I picture the goat will need to come outside to potty but in reality they just go wherever they want...including inside the barn where they sleep too? We just spent last 4 hours shoveling and raking the roof. I dug up some snow so the dog can go outside. I supposed I could shovel snow around in the goat area too....:/ Maybe I can build a barn with a large overhang area....
Yes, the sun is out and it is BEAUTIFUL!! Just love CO

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
they just go wherever they want...including inside the barn where they sleep too?
Yup, you got it. Goats go potty wherever they are standing when the need arises. That includes (but is not limited to) in the hay feeder, in the water bucket (if it's too low), on your shoe, on the puppy and on another goat who happens to be laying there.

The overhang area is a great idea but just to give the goats more space to be outside if it's raining... not to keep them from using their inside barn space as a bathroom.