Colorado

ttclan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We're just over the hill...well, maybe a couple of them. :) And we only got about 8 inches!

We plan on deep bedding them in the winter.

I, now do that for our chickens...I used clean it out each week and put new bedding in, but this past month with getting the cabin moved in and all, it naturally ended up being new bedding on the old, which many people do for other livestock all winter, so I figure why not the chickens as well.

@Chirpy - when the time comes, I'd love to talk llamas with you...do you ever sell any of your young ones? We aren't ready, hubby says, one animal kind at a time ;) so I have to wait, but been hoping for one or two some day!

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Chirpy said:
they just go wherever they want...including inside the barn where they sleep too?
Yup, you got it. Goats go potty wherever they are standing when the need arises. That includes (but is not limited to) in the hay feeder, in the water bucket (if it's too low), on your shoe, on the puppy and on another goat who happens to be laying there.

The overhang area is a great idea but just to give the goats more space to be outside if it's raining... not to keep them from using their inside barn space as a bathroom.
We are in Coal Creek Canyon...official snowfall for this past storm is 50.5" We are supposed to get a lot of snow in the Spring also.
Mmm...why do I want goats again??? Oh yeah, to help with weeding.... As ttclan suggested, I'll just have to change bedding often. My biggest fear is having mice/rats in the barn. Anyone here have that problem??? Do goats/their feed general attract rodents?

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ttclan asked:
I'd love to talk llamas with you...do you ever sell any of your young ones?
I have been raising and selling llamas for about 8 years. However, due to some medical issues we are seriously considering having to sell off my last llamas this spring. I'm dragging my feet, so to speak, on making that decision but unless things change dramatically here... I will have to.

Catahoula said:
My biggest fear is having mice/rats in the barn. Anyone here have that problem??? Do goats/their feed general attract rodents?
Pretty much any feed and/or a dry barn can attract mice/rodents. We were overrun with them when we moved in here almost 11 years ago... we haven't seen any in the barn in many years... all due to our wonderful barn kitties. Our barn cats have all been raised by our family so they are part of the family and love people... even though they do live in the barn. I keep all my feed in a large, old chest freezer. A lot of people use trash cans (but they should be metal as mice can chew through the plastic/rubber ones). The metal ones can cause moisture buildup inside them so be careful of that too. I do keep my goat feed (Klassy goat) in a rubbermaid trash can right next to my milk stand. Because we have no mice in the barn I've never had any problem with that. But, I wouldn't have done that for the first few years we lived here because of the mice.

I also am doing the deep bedding method for my goats (and chickens). It does keep the stalls warmer through the winter but is a horrendous cleaning day in the spring; we don't have a tractor so it's all done by shovel.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I guess getting couple goats doesn't mean just two goats. It means getting goats and Cats (mice) and possible chicken (bugs)....and then predators that preys on your goats/cats/chickens.... It is not a surprise to learn all these. When I was living in the City where I can't have goats, I didn't have to think much about it. Now that having goats can be a reality.... Not a deal breaker yet...will just have to do more planning and thinking before acting. Maybe I can still set up the goat area and lease some goats for the summer time for weeding....

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think I may found something that would work.... Found couple pictures from the forum on how goats are kept...without a barn.... Not sure if you can see the pictures. The shelter would be raised and more insulated. I think with this set up...covered chain-linked kennel like area would be easy to clean and hopefully be rodent free. Goats would be protected from rain/snow/sun and predators. Of course, during the day, they would be let out to roam the property. What do you think?

5675_goat-shed-8.jpg

5675_goat-shed-7.jpg

Sinistershelly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Another Coloradan here. Im out in Ellicott, outside the springs. Fairly new to goats, had them about 6 months now and so excited. Can't wait to meet more Colorado folks near by with goaties :)

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sinistershelly said:
Another Coloradan here. Im out in Ellicott, outside the springs. Fairly new to goats, had them about 6 months now and so excited. Can't wait to meet more Colorado folks near by with goaties :)
Hi Sinistershelly, did you guys get lots of snow this past 'record breaking' storm? How did the goats do?

Sinistershelly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We got a few inches but nothing insane. The wind is the thing that gets us most. It can be very annoying, lol. The goats did good, they stayed inside, but the ducks sure had fun playing in it.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sinistershelly said:
We got a few inches but nothing insane. The wind is the thing that gets us most. It can be very annoying, lol. The goats did good, they stayed inside, but the ducks sure had fun playing in it.
We have gotten over 2 feet and we also get strong gusty wind too. I am still doing research on housing for the goats. I like couple of geese too but will have to figure out issue with water....

Sinistershelly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My goat housing is very simple, for now. They go in when they want but spend most days up top sunning. Those houses are perfect for their size. Right now they share a area with the ducks. I had to make a lower lip at the bottom of the bigger house so the ducks wouldn't go in there and dirty up their hay. The goats wont sleep in it if the ducks have pooh'd in their area.

5870_img_2702.jpg

5870_img_2705.jpg

The ducks will sleep in those houses when it snows but they also spend most of their days outside sunning. The only negative is the wind out here makes us have to clean the duck pools daily. Our back yard is all sand so the pools get dirty fast as you can see.