Colorado

HappyMamaAcre

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So here's what my 50 lb. pit bull and 130 lb. son found in our backyard today. We live in Boulder County. Photo taken after "Smokey" was chased over the fence. Which "Smokey" squashed like it wasn't even there. Oh my.

6548_bear.jpg

I am very, very worried about my goat, pot-bellied pig and ten chickens tonight.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
HappyMamaAcre said:
So here's what my 50 lb. pit bull and 130 lb. son found in our backyard today. We live in Boulder County. Photo taken after "Smokey" was chased over the fence. Which "Smokey" squashed like it wasn't even there. Oh my.

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/6548_bear.jpg

I am very, very worried about my goat, pot-bellied pig and ten chickens tonight.
Wow...we live in Boulder County up in the mountain and we also get bears, mountain lions, coyotes and foxes.... We have two goats and I lock them up at night. Hopefully that will do the trick. Hope yours will stay safe too.

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi fellow Coloradians. My doe had two bucklings yesterday. I think they are going to be bottle babies, because she doesn't seem to interested in them. They will be available for sale when they are about 2 weeks old. They are first generation Mini Nubians, mother is a Nubian and dad is a Nigerian dwarf. Will be disbudded and have first shots. I can also wether them using the banding method but that has to wait until they are 8 weeks old. If you know of anyone who wants some cuties send me a PM. :) I am near Canon City.

4775_goats_170.jpg

4775_goats_169.jpg

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am so tempted...but I am afraid my two boer wethers will bully them. If I don't get my third goat soon, I'll be thinking about two more next spring. I am interested in couple standard Nubians. These guys sure are cute...keep me posted please.

Kitsara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi all, currently we bounce back and forth right now between Littleton and Boyero. Boyero is where we are setting up our farm. In town we have chickens and ducks and turkeys and rabbits. Though, we should have them all moved out to the farm by fall. Water pipes are still being installed. It'll be nice to stay out there full time. We also have a wood stove that'll be
installed soon and we'll be getting a hot water heater. Which will be good when my son starts up school out there. Gotta make sure he gets his showers. :)

@daisychick They are simply adorable, I love the coloring. I wish I could snag one up, but I can't keep one in Littleton and we don't have things set up yet at the farm. Though in the future, I plan on having goats. It's just so hard to wait.

ttclan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

We had a mountain lion here several months back which was the main reason for adding the LGD. We have a Rottie and she's been a great protector, but she needed a partner. She's so funny, she actually herds my chickens in when I need them locked up (we free range them)...anyway, Shimron, the LGD I mentioned, treed a bear about a week ago. A cub. I was really nervous because we couldn't see or hear mama anywhere. But they moved on back up the hill and we haven't seen them since. I know they are there, but they haven't come back to our property at least.

Babies....oh so adorable. Wish we could add another one, hubby is already maxed out, I tried to get him to let me get a llama or two...one animal at a time he said. We just added barn kittens two weeks ago to the menagerie, but they made sense since we have lots of mice. Goats are coming, so the llamas will have to wait. ;)

Tuesday is finally the day! We are heading to Sedalia to get our goats! I can't wait! It has taken forever to get ready, well, the small barn isn't even finished yet, but my darling promises me it might not be finished(as in complete and fully "clothed" with the reclaimed wood siding, but it will be lockable and tight...

We lock everyone up at night, anyway. We figure that there isn't a need to purposely set the dog up for having to defend his animals and thus put his life at risk unless absolutely necessary. Locking up will help, we hope.

Busy Spring for all, sounds like. Hope everyone is enjoying the good weather and all is well. Scary fire not far from us, keeping all those effected in our thoughts and prayers.

ttclan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Catahoula

We hope to have some Nubians next Spring. My one doeling should be ready to breed this fall. For what that's worth. She's standard, her sire is a grand champion, so good lines too.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
ttclan said:
Catahoula

We hope to have some Nubians next Spring. My one doeling should be ready to breed this fall. For what that's worth. She's standard, her sire is a grand champion, so good lines too.
Thanks for the thoughts. DH is going to band me from going online. Every time I see cute boers or nubians, I tell him I want that one.... Found some really nice colors boer doelings but they are not for sale yet. I am not hopeful since they would be too old to be disbudded. I am really happy with my two plus the dog. They are doing a good job filling the little hole in my heart. Maybe I'll be all healed from GAS (until Spring time when more kids are showing up). :)

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Does anyone here knows a hoof trimmer who would travel long distance on site to trim goat hooves? I know a few breeders...who just lost their faithful (not so anymore) trimmer and are in need of a replacement.