cost for having a horse broke?

aimee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
how much does it usually cost to get a horse sent off to be broke?
thanks for any help :)

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Depends on trainer and facilities and what you want the trainer to do with the horse.

A breed or discipline trainer aiming a horse at a futurity or national championship may charge up to $1,000 a month for training and board plus all kinds of other "fees" for supplements, blanketing, etc ...

While someone just training a horse for recreation or trail purposes might charge only $200 a month.

Many times, a weekly lesson for the owner is included too.

The trainer at the stable I ride at charges $450/month for both show and trail training although the show horses also get trail experience unless she feels that the horse isn't ready for it. I.e. she didn't take a young horse on the trail because he needed some specialized trim work since he had contracted heels so it was delayed until his shoes could be pulled and let his feet spread out. Her fee includes stall board and lessons for the owner.

FlipFlopFarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I live in central louisiana, I know many who "start" colts under saddle for 300.00. I know one of these who rides maybe 15 of the 30 days he says he will ride. I have used a guy who charges 650.00 for 30 rides. I was amazed at how much I got for the money, but then again, I sent a 3yr old, not a 2 yr old. The 2 yr olds are only able to grasp so much mentally and then they cant handle anymore. I usually start my own colts with methods modeled closely to clinton anderson.

p.s. this is western riding, and not training for a specific discipline. I have a friend who charges 200.00 a week for problem horses, and she rides extensively and almost requires the owner to be there. She typically gets rodeo horses.Barrel horses, and pole horses are her specialty.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Anywhere between whatever the trainer's board fee is (if they are desperate, or are going to do something like have lesson kids start the horse) to thousands of dollars. It just depends where you send the horse and for how long.

Bear in mind you will not get back a "broke" horse -- what you will get back is a *started but very, very green* horse that you will then need to do the bulk of its training with.

Pat

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Bear in mind you will not get back a "broke" horse -- what you will get back is a *started but very, very green* horse that you will then need to do the bulk of its training with.

Pat
Exactly! This is what I was getting ready to type out. Even if you leave it there for 90 days, it will still be very green and you will HAVE to keep up on it's training so make sure the trainer you use includes you in with the training of the horse, so you don't bring the horse home and confuse it with doing things differently than it was just taught.

Unless you want to leave it there for the next year or so and you know for sure that the trainer will ride it all that time, lol, what you get back is simply a horse that has been INTRODUCED to riding. The horse, however, will still need time and consistent work to be convinced that it needs to respond the same way to every person that gets on it, as well as to get all the myriad little experiences and information it will need to fill in and "flesh out" it's introductory training.